Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt + Trim Issues

Motor is a 1989 Yamaha Excel 225

It is trimmed almost all the way down right now, and I can trim it up slightly, and down slightly from its current position, but it will not trim all the way back up or down. Trim pump/motor sounds like its running normal, although sometimes I will hear almost like a slight grinding noise. The pump will run when I hit the switch, but the motor wont move up or down.

Any ideas guys?

sounds like it is low on fluid.

Comment

Can you move it manually?

Kind of sounds like it is bound up maybe (froze in place by corrosion)

Comment

When was the last time it was apart Niner?? I replaced seals on port motor last week and sucked out all the old fluid. All kinds of crud in the bottom. Sounds and works much better. Simple job if you have the factory tool. Bet you got moisture/crud in there. Might just need some love...
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I dont much about it guys. I bought the motor + boat combo from someone who didnt use it much. It was working fine when I bought it a couple weeks ago. Can I just add fluid to it as it sits for do I have to pull the assembly out to do it?

Comment

Buy a manual Niner. Takes the guess work out of things.

Comment

I have a manual. They dont tell you a whole lot for trouble shooting though!

Messed with the tilt and trim deal a little. It was obviously low on fluid, I removed the cap and couldnt see any fluid and none was dripping out. So I added some good power trim fluid until it slowly started seeping out (with the motor in the upright position). Put the cap back on and tilted it all the way up and down several times and it worked just like it should. Even the bad grinding noise went away.

However....I noticed some more during all of this. There is definitely fluid coming out the top of the middle hydraulic shaft/lift whatever you want to call it. It seems to seep out whenever the motor is tilted to the max up position. Thats when I notice it seeping out. If you trim the motor in between, it does not appear that any fluid is coming out at that point.

I also did notice that the fluid in there is probably not very good, it was brown and looked to have some crud in it.

Is the little plug down on the left in these pictures the "drain" screw? Maybe I should drain everything and fill it with new. What does everyone think of the fluid seeping out the top when the motor is tilted all the way up and then starting to come down?

I also took a little video of the motor in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYX2I...e_gdata_player

Cory
              Last edited by BigNiner19; 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Gotta hand it to you Cory; this is the way to post about a problem, pics and a video! Wish I was smart enough to figure out how to do it! You're leaking from the tilt cyl. This is a bit trickier to repair than the 2-trim cyls. The shop manual explains how to replace the seals but the key (IMHO) is getting the correct spanner wrench from Yamaha. Sometimes the caps are a bitch to remove and the homemade tools beat the crap out of everything including the piston rod. Also, you might want to invest in a dentist probe. Makes getting the old seals out of the caps easier. I had the same screeching noise and was amazed at how changing the fluid quieted the motor. I believe the noise is from fluid being forced through orfices. Don't forget to put some grease on the ends of your trim cyls where the tips contact the motor. It should quiet the grinding noise. My tilt/trim is a little different, but I don't believe you have a drain. Also, unfortunately, I don't believe you can suck all the fluid out through the tilt cyl. The trim cyls are lower and the really cruddy stuff migrates to the bottom. Not sure of your motivation but I would buy, or borrow, both tools and replace the trim cyls seals also. It's a pretty important function of performance and economy and then you'll be done with it (JMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                  Gotta hand it to you Cory; this is the way to post about a problem, pics and a video! Wish I was smart enough to figure out how to do it! You're leaking from the tilt cyl. This is a bit trickier to repair than the 2-trim cyls. The shop manual explains how to replace the seals but the key (IMHO) is getting the correct spanner wrench from Yamaha. Sometimes the caps are a bitch to remove and the homemade tools beat the crap out of everything including the piston rod. Also, you might want to invest in a dentist probe. Makes getting the old seals out of the caps easier. I had the same screeching noise and was amazed at how changing the fluid quieted the motor. I believe the noise is from fluid being forced through orfices. Don't forget to put some grease on the ends of your trim cyls where the tips contact the motor. It should quiet the grinding noise. My tilt/trim is a little different, but I don't believe you have a drain. Also, unfortunately, I don't believe you can suck all the fluid out through the tilt cyl. The trim cyls are lower and the really cruddy stuff migrates to the bottom. Not sure of your motivation but I would buy, or borrow, both tools and replace the trim cyls seals also. It's a pretty important function of performance and economy and then you'll be done with it (JMHO).

Tucker, thanks for the reply. I really try to show what my issue is so someone with more knowledge can chime in and help out. I'm not a total newbie when it comes to this stuff, I can do routine maintenence very well. But anytime something a little more in depth comes along, I like to seek the best advise before digging in. I honestly have never taken apart a tilt cylinder before, so this will be a first.

I can't believe there is a "special tool" as my manual states to remove the cylinder cap. You can't be serious.

Cory

Comment

Do you have the Yamaha shop manual?? Mine shows the spanner wrench. Might want to talk to Bobby, our boats.net mod guy to confirm the tool available. Or, measure the holes on your cap and see if Harbor Freight, etc has a spanner wrench to fit. I didn't have any luck with that. Seen a lot of homemade tools and some guys even use a punch in the holes and wack it with a hammer. Pretty ghetto and if you nick that piston rod you're buying a new one (bend over).

Comment

LOL that sucker is blown

fluid looks nasty. Oring for sure under cap,orings on piston may as well put new dust seal on. Im running ATF dexron 3 seems to work. You for sure will need cap removal tool or right spanner. Spanner and hot hair blower may work I give it 50 50 chance. Harbor freight does not have one. Amazon does though. You might need to completely over haul one day. Hydrolic shops can do it easily
                      Last edited by 200090tlry; 05-26-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Need Help to locat the filling plug of the hydrolic trim.

Can you tell me where is the plug for filling hydrolic oil to my trim cylinder for a 200 HP yahama?
                        I have not move my trim for the past two year. Now the electric motor run ok as usual; however, it dose not move up.
                        a). Do I have to drain the oil and replace it with new oil?
                        b). If I need to drain the old oil, how do I drain the old oil? Can any one send me a picture where to locate the plug?
                        Thank you for all the help.

Originally posted by BigNiner19 View Post
                        I have a manual. They dont tell you a whole lot for trouble shooting though!

Messed with the tilt and trim deal a little. It was obviously low on fluid, I removed the cap and couldnt see any fluid and none was dripping out. So I added some good power trim fluid until it slowly started seeping out (with the motor in the upright position). Put the cap back on and tilted it all the way up and down several times and it worked just like it should. Even the bad grinding noise went away.

However....I noticed some more during all of this. There is definitely fluid coming out the top of the middle hydraulic shaft/lift whatever you want to call it. It seems to seep out whenever the motor is tilted to the max up position. Thats when I notice it seeping out. If you trim the motor in between, it does not appear that any fluid is coming out at that point.

I also did notice that the fluid in there is probably not very good, it was brown and looked to have some crud in it.

Is the little plug down on the left in these pictures the "drain" screw? Maybe I should drain everything and fill it with new. What does everyone think of the fluid seeping out the top when the motor is tilted all the way up and then starting to come down?

I also took a little video of the motor in action

Trim and Tilt - YouTube

Cory

Comment

Will not trim all the way down

I have a 1987 PRO50 power trim unit that I have tried just about everything to fix it. The problem is it will trim all the way up and then when trimming down the tilt cylinder will retract (not all the way down), then the 2 tilt cylinder begin retracting but as soon as they bottom out the Tilt Ram begins to extend upward if I continue holding switch in down position. I have replaced all seals in this unit pump seems to have lots of power and sounds good, and I have replaced and valve assemblies (2) but some how hydraulic power(fluid) is getting to this center tilt Ram Urrrrgh!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the lakes are still frozen so I still have some time to fix it but the snow is starting to melt,

Comment

Working...
                          X