2002 25hp T25A-water pump problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 25hp T25A-water pump problem

I recently acquired a used, very clean, with about 150 hours, engine. The first two times I used it, it ran great. The third time, on my way back from a day fishing, it began to get hot. It was pumping sporadically and it began to lose RPM's (I understand this is a safety feature). I took it home, pulled the lower unit and found three broken blades on the impeller.I thought I found most of the pieces at the time, however, after flushing it with water before using the "earmuffs",I found a snall piece of the impeller between the plastic water inlet plates.Therefore, I proceded as though I had found all the impeller pieces.I installed a new impeller (Sierra 18-3068) and thought I was done! I put the boat in the water and ran it hard for 1/2 hour and it ran fine. I, however, was still suspicious about whether or not it was cooling properly when runnning at slow speed as it seemed that when I ran it slow there was very little/ none coming out of the hole.It started to over heat again so I hobbled to shore.

Plenty of water goes through when I use the garden hose. It just won't supply enough water to the engine, through the water pump at idle/very slow speed.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for reading this very long note!
    Ron

Ron,
    I would pull the thermostat to check for debris behind it that might be restricting water flow. Also, check the pressure relief valve for debris blockage that may be keeping it partially open.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken,
      Thanks so much for the info. and the quick reply. The thermostat was dirty and corroded. I cleaned it thoroughly and tested it. Can you guide me to locate the pressure relief valve?
      Thanks again.
      Ron

Comment

Ron,
        I looked up a 2002 T25TLRA outboard in the parts catalogue - is that your motor?
        I can't find a pressure relief valve in the diagrams - maybe that model does not have one.
        Best to get yourself a Yamaha shop manual for that particular model.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X