50TLRA On Engine Oil Tank Makes Alarm Go Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50TLRA On Engine Oil Tank Makes Alarm Go Off

I have a Yamaha 50TLRA outboard and the on engine oil level sender in the full position makes the alarm go off. I have checked the sender and it appears good. It didn't do this before and as far as I know no wires have been connected or disconnected. If I disconnect the grey (?) wire from the sender the alarm stops. With that wire disconnected the low oil level alarm still goes off but does not stop when I add oil unless I turn the ignition off. Is it OK to run it like that? Where could the problem lie?

It is either a bad wiring harness or the float switch itself is my thoughts.
    It is not wise to run a motor that has problems

Comment

I was wondering if there was a relay somewhere that could have gone bad as the alarm will sound if the float is in the low oil position and then will stop when the float is raised to the full position. The alarm will then sound from the full position once the ignition is turned off and back on. But if I disconnect the full position wire the alarm will not sound from the full position and when it sounds from the low position and the float is raised up to the full position it will not go off until the ignition is turned off and then on. It does not have an oil level gauge. The over temperature alarm works either way. I put a wire tie above the float so that it will not reach the full position and kept the wire connected. The low oil alarm sounds and the over temp alarm sounds.

Comment

It is broke, fix it right

It probably has a oil control module if it has 2 tanks
        look at this tread it has a troubleshooting guide in it

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...l-th16098.html
        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

There is no external tank.

Comment

there are NO oil control modules.
            there are NO sensors.
            there is a switch in the oil tank.
            the switch has 3 wires,green,green-red and black.
            make sure the black is in place.
            some 703 control boxs wont allow the two gray bullet connectors to be connected.
            if yours is one and the two gray wires are connected for the trim-alarm harness you will get an audible anytime the key is on.

Comment

There are four(4) wires from the oil level sender: Black (connected to ground); Green; Green/Red; Pink. Part #63D-85720-01. The Green & Green/Red go to a four pin plug, that doesn't have four wires hooked to it and, I think the tilt sender runs into that. If remember correctly, out of that comes a gray wire that runs over to a bullet connector and then heads to the back of the starboard side of the motor. If I disconnect the gray wire bullet connector the alarm stops. If I ground the "motor" end (male bullet) of the gray wire the alarm sounds. Not wanting to unwrap all the electrical tape and dig through the wire to see exactly where it goes (the alarm?) I thought I'd ask here. Rather than disconnect it, as I don't know for sure what it does, I merely put a wire tie above the oil level sender float so that it does not get into the full position (I can't see that that is any cause for alarm). I checked that the low oil alarm still works and I checked that the over temp alarm still work. There is no oil level gauge.

Comment

green is oil level green lamp indicate, green red is oil level low indicate, pink is for the audible and should go to the CDI, will be tuesday before I can double check the harness diagram for your specific model.
                overheat uses the same tone as oil alarm.
                if it alarms when the switch is full up,green lead grounded, then I would suspect a wire is in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                X