aluminum/stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum/stainless

i was just reading somewhere about mixing two metals and the problems it may cause. i had a plastic bolt/drainplug at the bottom of my transom ,decided to unscrew it one day and broke the head off so i knocked it out and replaced it with an stainless bolt. was this not a good thing, has me concerned. there was probably a reason for the plastic plug.
    thanks for some input

happy,
    I am assuming you have an aluminum hull - and,yes, when you have dissimiliar metals touching each other and then introduce water, especially salt water, then corrosion is going to take place.
    Having said that, just keep a little marine grease on the threads and remove the stainless drain plug (with gasket) on a regular basis and all will be ok.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

ken, i just looked at a same model boat to see what they use (since mine is a 1990) and they used pvc plug. so with that in mind i believe when i pull it out i will replace that with a pvc plug. one less thing for me to worry about. thanks for the response.
      also just had a pair of 150 4 stroke yamahas installed....SWEET....and had that fuel economy guage installed, anybody concerned of fuel economy should see one demo'd some time

happy

Comment

happy,
        You must be doing some serious offshore fishing - a PAIR of 150 four strokes - that's some investment you got there.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X