Stranded...but made it home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranded...but made it home!

Well, my shake out ride was going great, and when we finished fishing I turned the key to head home, and nothing!

Just some clicking....everytime I turned the key.

Solonoid?

I removed the pos cable off battery 2, connected it to battery 1, and touched the starter post, and the motor turned a bit. I turned the key again, and the motor started. Home!

So, my question is....bad starter? bad solonoid? bad brush holder? bad spot on the starter?

Its a 1997 200hp Saltwater Series II....with about 800 hours on it. The motor always has been hard to start, but it never did this.

Ideas?

MacGyver

could be any of the above. or battery, battery cables, or just connections
    You will have to start testing and see what is found

Comment

MacGyver, I'm lost (nothing new). You're inside the battery compartment and then you're under the hood?? Looks like you loosened then retightened everything right? Obviouse corrosion problem? Let us know what happened. I have the same engines and always on the lookout for problems with these motors (besides being gas hogs). Mine start right up. These motors are carbon magnets. I bet you're carboned up.
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

carboned

Tucker,

Do you mean the spark plugs? If so, they are brand new. I'm going to reset all of the connections now...see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

MacGyver

Comment

Testing with a volt meter to see where you are loosing the voltage is a better way

Comment

Checked connections

I cleaned/brushed all connections, and seem to be getting a bit better starting performance, but not great. It just seems like the batteries are not doing their job, although I was told the batteries were fine by the shop this past spring.

I have two 650 cca batteries....are these big enough for my Yamaha 200hp Series II?

Any suggestions on how to test various locations with a voltmeter?

MacGyver

Comment

Curious

When I bought this boat, the boat yard put two new 650 cca starter batteries in. There is a switch so I can use one, the other, or both. Is this part of the problem? The starting batteries not liking my running my lights and radio on it? I ran the radio for 20 minutes two days ago, and the voltage reading went from 14.4 to 12.2.

Hmmmmmm...

MacGyver

Comment

Working...
              X