25hp 4-stroke oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25hp 4-stroke oil leak

I have a 2001 F25ESRZ with 155 trouble free hours on it. After running at low rpm (2000-2500) for about 3 hours I went to pull the boat up the ramp. I have to trailer with the engine in the 1/2 tilt or shallow drive setting with a transom support. After pulling the boat from the water this last time I noticed for the first time engine oil dripping from the lower cooling water exit holes just above the lower engine mount which is just above the foot. I have checked the oil and there is no sign of water contamination and the level is stable. The only thing I did differently was to raise the engine within 2-3 minutes of shutting it down. I cannot tell that there is any oil on the plugs and the engine runs fine with no excessive smoke or rough idle. The leaking oil looks clean and similar to what is on the dipstick. It is not an excessive amount, but enough to drip to the ground a few times. After running fresh water through the system with the garden hose I noted oil again, but a lesser amount.

I read in the manual that if the engine is tiltedwhile the engine is hot, oil may leak from the sump into the cylinders. I have just never noticed any oil in this location.

Do I have a problem?

The oil pump seals need to be checked for leaks, it's located below engine on crankshaft.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks,

I ran the engine again this AM to try to pin down the source a little better. The oil seems to be leaking from the base of the power head assembly and running down the front of the lower unit housing. This concerns me more for oil pump seals or something internal.

Guess I'm headed to the boat shop.

Can anyone recommend a good yamaha mechanic in the Worcester, MA/Central Mass area?

Comment

Working...
      X