Prime HPDI - Water in Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime HPDI - Water in Fuel

I'm trying to help a buddy get his 2001 SX200 running that had been sitting a while. A lot of water got into the fuel tank which got sucked into the fuel system. I don't know anything about Yamahas nor the correct nomenclature, so please bare with me.

We cleaned everything from the tank up to the bowl filter on the engine. I drained water from tank on the injection pump. I pulled the return line from the bottom of the rail to the pump, but it was bone dry.

I've read what I could on this forum and my take is it all needs to come apart, especially to clean the numerous screens - correct?

More importantly, I can't get any fuel to go into the rail. I understand that at key-on I should hear the pump, which I don't, and it should prime the hpdi and rail. Nothing happens. Turning the engine over doesn't move any fuel either.

I don't want to break the system down until I at least know I'm getting fuel.

I didn't study real close, but first look seemed like oil gets mixed in the pump? I read something about oil being directly injected, but was not the exact model/year.

What next?

All help very much appreciated.

Thx

Thanks for the tip. The 12v supply wouldn't be red would it? Don't recall the colors I saw. The ECU grounds the pump if I read correctly?

Comment

SX200 means its OX66 NOT HPDI.
      no the reeds dont come apart, you may have to pull the fuel rail.
      first you need fuel to the rail.
      DO NOT use regular hose clamps when reattaching the high pressure line.
      yes the red wire at the pump should have 12V to ground anytime the key is on. the ECU controls the ground.
      before you replace the pump try soaking it in a jar of combustion chamber cleaner.
      if its been sitting a while with water in it first I would se if the engine will turn over.
      the injection system will spray water just as well as gas.
      if its been sitting a while with water in it the whole thing is worth about 18 cents/lb.

Comment

Great info, thanks very much.

I ran the motor for about 2 seconds off a squirt bottle of premix.

I'll check voltage and ground. If that's good I'll pull the pump apart and go from there.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X