Oil transfer from reservoir to engine tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil transfer from reservoir to engine tank

I have a 1999 saltwater series 200hp(s200txrx) and had to just replace the oil pump that was at the tank reservoir. I used the manual switch and it pumps the oil to the engine tank perfectly. No clogs or issues. Concern is I'm not sure that the pump is automatically transferring oil while I'm running - so the oil in the engine tank diminishes - not be replaced. Could this be an electrical issue? The engine tank sensor/alarm works because that is what brought to my attention that the transfer pump had failed.

Any help is appreciated.

Guys - i did some more searches and found some recent info about electrical connections I need to check. I will do that this weekend and come back if I need your help. Sorry for the new thread.

Comment

no worries, new threads are ALWAYS better than tacking onto an old thread.
      your SX200TXRX does NOT use the trim sender for ANY oil transfer function.
      got that out of the way.
      if the transfer pump works with the manual switch the pump 12V power supply is ok.
      make sure SWB is closed.

Comment

Rodbolt - glad you were available to respond. Don't know if it matters, but i think i have the S200 vs the sx200 which i believe may be the ox version (correct?).

One impediment i have is that the Tach for the motor went bad over the winter - so I can't see any oil related indicators there until i replace that.

The SWB is that the switch that is opened/closed when the float in the main tank (on the engine) drops to a certain level?

Comment

SWB is the switch in the remote tank, if its open,or a wire is broken, NO automatic transfer will occur and the yellow lamp or center bar will activate.

Comment

what is the best way to check the SWB?

Comment

by watching the oil lamps on the tach.
              if the far right or green lamp is lit, SWB is ok.
              if the yellow is lit or the center bar then either the remote tank is low or there is a break in the circuit,or the switch failed .
              SWB closed,0 ohms, means the tank has sufficient oil for transfer and the green lamp or far right bar is lit.
              open, the center bar or yellow lamp is lit and automatic transfer cannot occur.

Comment

Thanks - i will work on that this weekend.

Comment

oil transfer

I have exact problem not sure I know what SWB is and what it does. my motor is 250 salt water sreies 2001 sx250txra

Comment

swB is the switch in the remote tank.ç
                    You cannot have the same problem cause we dont know what the problem is, yet.

Comment

True I also am not getting oil from reservoir to engine tank, oil pump replaced last year and sensor in engine tank replaced 2 weeks ago trying to figure out swb. Going check it out now thanks get back to you

Comment

I am going to have to put it in my tag line.
                        ONE more time.
                        there are NO sensors in the yamaha oiling system for all the v4,all the 2.6L from 1996 and all the 3.1L motors.
                        the 2.6L V6 from 1990-1995 did use the trim sender to prohibit oil transfer if trimmed to high.
                        closest thing to a sensor yamaha ever used in the oiling system.
                        now that that is out of the way.
                        its a very very simple system.
                        if SWB is closed the green lamp or far right bar is indicated.
                        this tells the oil control module there is sufficient oil for automatic transfer.
                        has NO affect on manual transfer.
                        swb open, the black or black-red wire open and the yellow lamp is lit and no automatic transfer.
                        the engine tank has 3 switchs, SW1,SW2 and SW·.
                        sw1,top switch, closed commands pump off, SW2,middle switch, closed commands pump ON.
                        SW3 bottom switch closed, commands audible,RPM reduction,far left bar or red lamp and a second transfer pump on command.
                        at the transfer pump, the brown wire is 12V any time the key is on.
                        the blue wire is the ECU or manual switch ground path.
                        commands from the 3 simple on or off switchs in the engine tank with SWB, to the oil oil control unit will apply and remove the ground.
                        the system is so simple it usually tests itself.
                        in fact a quick test of the system.
                        insure the remote is at least half full.
                        drain the engine tank via the water trap.
                        you will now have 3 bars flashing,indicates a transfer melfunction cause SWB AND SW3 are closed.
                        cant happen normally.
                        OR its an initial fill.
                        so you get an audible,tests the horn, a 3 bar visual AND the transfer pump runs for 180 seconds.
                        should refill the tank on the v4 and 2.6 and shut down before 180 seconds.
                        the 3.1L may only get to about 1 half full maybe just a bit more.
                        see how easy this is.

Comment

Rodbolt,
                          They need to make a sticky on this or maybe you can just save this some how and just copy and past it instead of typing it over and over on different threads

Comment

Rodbolt,

This is a follow-up on my original post. I was able to get a working tach for the motor (multifunction - like this Yamaha Single Guage Rigging Kit / Boats Unlimited). So, as the motor is running the oil does not appear to be transferring from remote tank to engine tank, but the tach has one bar and a second bar flashing above the little oil symbol. Any idea what that is indicating? I did not see a yellow light on the tach.
                            Any help - thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

center bar flasing means the ECU is seeing SWB as open and is telling the operator the remote tank is low and automatic transfer will not happen but manual will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X