Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression

I have a yamaha shop manual and have not been able to determine the normal compression.
    I am refering to a 40etlk.
    It has retired and I am trying to determine if it is worth fixing since it has a electrical problem that has yet to be identified.
    I did a compression check and they seem quite low that would indicate a badly worn engine. readings 85 to 105 i did read that the compression is different on say cly 1 or cly 3.
    where can i find the range?

there are no factory numbers.
    your posted numbers are out of the 10% range.
    do a leakdown test.
    if that fails its simply time to remove the head for inspection.

Comment

Decarb

Try a decarb and the numbers may improve. There are plenty of posts on this subject. Mercury,Johnson,Yamaha make cleaners. But Rod is king of Yamahas go with his opinion.

Comment

decarb is quick and easy.
        try posting the model number of the engine and why you checked compression.
        thats seems to be the hard part on forums.

Comment

ponderosa

I assumed that i posted the model number anyway the model # is 40etlk and I took the compression because i thought it was somewhat hard to turn over like a cly was (in my language ) dragging a bit which one was not known.

Comment

its possible you scuffed a piston, leak down test wil show it as will a bore scope.
            or simply remove the cylinder head,easier said than done on a saltater motor.

Comment

Working...
            X