How to drop lower unit on 8 HP msha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to drop lower unit on 8 HP msha

I want to replace my water pump but can't figure how to disconnect the shift rod.

IT looks like i need to remove the shift axel under the carb to disconnect but the Schematic shows a clamp on the rod in the lower unit.

Please help

thanks,
    Mike

There is a clamp in front of housing just above where gearcase separates from mid housing that has to be loosened.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

water pum 1999 8hp (built in France)

I have the same problem, the rod seems to be solid all the way. There is a rubber boot covering it where it goes into the lowere unit, but there sin't any disconnect in it that I can find.

Comment

tilt the motor up and lock it.
        about 3 inches above the lower you will find the clamp block.

Comment

Do not remove carb and uopper shift linkage

Rodbolt has it right. After I removed the carb and disconnected the top end of the shift linkage and it still wouldn't come apart, I found the clamp he talks about. This motor had never been touched since it left the factory, so it still came apart hard, but it came apart. NOW i have to put together all the stuff I took apart at the top end, but I learned something.
          I don't know how many models were built this way, but this was a first for me and I have been taking outboards apart for a long time.

Comment

dunno
            I have only been doing this type work,professionally, for 35 years or so.

Comment

Working...
            X