shift positioning switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift positioning switch

I have a 2002 F115TLRA 4 stroke. Under the cover next to the engine there is a slide for the shifter a round part slides back and forth in the slide when you shift, and when it is in neutral it triggers a switch part number AP4094020, it does not appear to be a neutral safety switch, although the same switch is used for a neutral safety switch in the shift control next to the seat, I believe. Unless there are two neutral safety switches, it starts only in neutral when this switch is connected or disconnected. I'm told it is a gear or shift positioning switch, but no one can tell me what it does, I'm guessing it maybe slows down the engine in neutral, the engine is away from a water source, so running the engine isn't an option to test. Thank you
    Steve

ECU uses it to see if engine is in gear or neutral, it won't affect starting circuit or engine rpm's.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

actually there are two switchs.
      one is shift position the other is shift cut.
      both have to operate correctly.
      if the position switch tells the ECU that its in gear AND the ECU gets a crank signal on the brown wire it will limit RPM.
      if it sees a nuetral indicate and the RPM goes over a threshold it will throw a code and limit RPM.
      keeps you from over speeding in N.
      doesnt work most the time .
      can be tested in or out of the water.they are both simple on/off switches.

Comment

Working...
      X