drill holes in prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill holes in prop

has anybody ever heard of drilling the holes for exhaust in prop bigger for better holeshot if so I would like to know more pros con

thanks jim

What ever you are smoking, can I have some??????

Comment

you mean a ported prop...i have a few, but theyre drilled at the factory and im not sure id attempt it, but, im sure your local prop shop would if your prop is compatible.

Comment

Mercury Flo-torq props have vent plugs in their props from solid through various sizes to increase ventilation for hole shots and they can be outstanding. I've used them for years and they can be fine tuned to your situation.
        Roy

Comment

jim,
          I have read somewhere, once upon a time, something about doing this, although I have not tried it. I will refer you to a prop expert who works for Power Tech in Louisiana. He is on another forum at www.maverickboats.com. The forum is mainly for Maverick-Hewes-Pathfinder boat owners, but look up Marcus, aka "Funky Monkey" and PM or e-mail him - he is evidently darn good at what he does because he has helped a lot of boat owners get the most out of their outboard with the correct prop selection.
          Good luck
          Ken K

Comment

Oh yes, adding ventilation holes in your prop is nothing new at all. Lots of props have it, including MY props. Depending on the size of your outboard and the desire/need to get the engine to rev at holeshot, the size will vary. A lot of props come stock with small holes approx 1/4 and others might be as large as 1/2". Of course, your application is likely different than everybody else's.

Basically, what you are going to do is to add the holes behind the blades, positioned towards the front of the hub approx 1/2" from the front the of the blade. (hope the position description makes sense)

When deciding on a position for the hole(s), be sure to check for support ribs which will intervere with drilling. Remember that stainless steel can be really tough, and you do not want to be snagging the support web with the drill bit.

What these holes do, is to allow exhaust gas to run over the blade and let the blade slip, which brings the engine up in the powerband.

Do not overdo it, though, or else you'll have a prop which has excess slippage on holeshot. However, if such a thing happengs, you can can epoxy them shut and start over.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
            X