1984 90 hp 2 stroke yamaha impeller r&r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 90 hp 2 stroke yamaha impeller r&r

Can someone clarify, to do this impeller change, do you need to put the engine in gear and does this have a spline or do you have to disconnect something as far as the gear shift , the maint book i have , covers all yamahas for all years, so it does not get specific. thanks .

I just did mine

You will see the obvious bolts that need to come out I think there 14mm. Then under trim tab there is one hidden. You need to remove anode tab first to gain access to other bolt. Leave it in neutral, use rubber mallet to tap lower unit down little. I should mention leave couple bolts with few threads in so lower does not fall to ground. Speedo tube will need to be cut to drop unit. Other than that easy as pie compared to Mercury. No jam nut to loosen and retighten find neutral,fwd,rev. My 90 had two piece shaft. As long you do not move shaft everything should line up perfect for neutral. You might not need to cut speedo tube see if you can find it near trim and tilt. Now one issue I ran into was woodruff key in driveshaft. Get a brass punch to tap it out if needed.

Comment

thanks for the help. If i cut the speedo tube do i replace it with a new one?

Comment

If you don't use your speedo, just cut and plug the tube/fitting on lower unit. Check out Simyamaha Andy's Tips for step by step instructions with photos on water pump replacement, very helpful, and a picture is worth a thousand words. I did my pump a few months back and it wasn't near the nightmare I heard it could be. Buy the entire kit with all the parts and impellar and replace it all. That woodruff key is half-moon shaped and you can tap on the top or bottom with a small hammer to loosen it. Get the Spline Grease for splines, bolts, etc. I used the Quicksilver 2-4-C in the tube...very waterproof. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X