X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor won't start, trim not working

Hi everyone,
    I have a problem i need your advice on.
    I have a yamaha 70 hp, I think around 1999 model.
    I used the boat last week, ran beautifully, took it home flushed the motor, and packed all away.
    Went to use it again only two days later and attempted to raise the motor to tow the boat, and the trim wasn't working. Just making a loud clicking noise.
    So, I'll start the motor and see if that helps I thought. Surprise! Motor wouldn't start, same clicking noise. Needless to say cancelled the fishing trip!
    So, I'm thinking an electrical type problem? I checked the battery connections and all seemed sound.
    It does seem a bit random having used it only two days previous, and now just a clicking noise.
    I would certainly appreciate your ideas and suggestions. Feel free to make them as simple as possible- my mechanical brain is rather simple!
    Thanks in anticipation.

you have a battery,battery cable or battery cable connection issue.

Comment

A volt meter will help find the problem

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        A volt meter will help find the problem
        Hmm, not necessarily. If for example there is extensive corrosion in a battery cable connection, then the voltmeter will show the correct voltage, but the electric current wont be enough to turn the electric motors.
        If it is just a matter of sulphized or plain dead battery issue, then the voltmeter will immediately reveal the culprit

Comment

Corrosion in the cables, or on the connections show up as high resistance and under some load will show up as a voltage drop. The main thing is to measure under some king of a load.

Comment

axolot98
            wrong.
            if you actually know what voltage is and what the meter is showing, it can be done in less that 2 minutes.
            have you a clue of a voltage drop test and what is voltage drop ?|

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate your suggestions. The battery is reasonably new (only 6 months old) and always kept fully charged via a "trickle charger". The voltmeter on the display gauge shows it at 13 V so I'm assuming it is charged enough to start the motor.

From your suggestions then I will start with the connections and cables, and give them a thorough going over and that should (hopefully) solve the problem. Maybe a crimp has come loose?

Sounds like a Saturday morning job. I will be very, very happy if it can be sorted that easily- there are fish waiting to be caught!

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Comment

quick and easy?
                simply place one meter lead on the negative batt TERMINAL not the cable, the other on the engine block.
                hit the key or the trim.
                should show less than .5V, anything more and find the negative cable issue.
                if less than .5V, place one lead on the positive battery TERMINAL and the other on the positive battry cable TERMINAL of the start relay.
                hit the key or the trim, should show less than .5V, anything more and chase the positive battery cable.
                see how simple this is when you and your multimeter speak the same language .

Comment

Problem solved!
                  Well, I sorted through your helpful replies and decided to start with the simplest, by checking all connections and cables.
                  Thankfully the negative cable was poorly connected at the battery, and there was some corrosion presnt. I cleaned it all up, made a stronger connection, and everything was working.
                  I can't tell you how happy that made me!
                  Much appreciation to you all for taking the time to reply to my call for help. I wish I knew as much as you guys about these matters, but being able to access your knowledge is a wonderful resource.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    axolot98
                    wrong.
                    have you a clue of a voltage drop test and what is voltage drop ?|
                    Now, after your second post, I understand what you mean !
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X