contact breaker points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contact breaker points

Hi, absolutely new to this, have just got my fathers old yammy 3.5 2 stroke out of his shed, stripped it down because no spark, points look rough so where can I get some more or is it posible to get an electronic ignition kit for this engine. Could the problem be elsewhere? any advice would be welcome
    many thanks
    David

The 3.5 was never sold here in the USA and we don't have any information or parts listing on it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

David, if by 'old' you mean mid 70s and a serial number such as 624/642/643... and you live in the US then try looking for Mariner 3.5 spares (both brands have the same style of serial number). The outboards are virtually identical - I have 2xMariner and 2xYamaha. At least one of the Mariners has a US label on it. The differences I have spotted are very minor - on the Mikuni carb.

If you live in the UK, old Yamaha bits can be sometimes sourced by BHG in Lymington. Be fully aware of the full cost of buying spares from continental europe if you find them there.

A downloadable parts list can be found using Google (I didn't keep a record of the URL)

BTW, don't get too picky about the points, one of mine are well worn (but flat) and the motor works well.

If you are gauging whether to spend money on these machines, I reckon their market price is $100 non-working and $200 running.

But as Oscar Wilde said people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. These motors (robust, simple, no sump, no water pump ) are valuable.

Good Luck
      Bob

Comment

Working...
      X