1989 Yamaha Excel 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Yamaha Excel 225

Traced down a spark issue and finally got this new to me motor running. Fired up nicely, sounds strong. Motor has great compression (125 all around).

However, you will notice in the video, that quite a bit of fuel is flowing out of the carbs. I know I need to get a carb kit and rebuild them, but my bigger question is why is the fuel clear? Shouldnt the 2 stroke oil be mixing in it with by that point, or does that happen in the block?

Where does the oil get injected? Is it normal for the fuel to not have oil up by the carbs? Any good suggestions on how to make sure your oil pump is working? The motor didnt make any buzzing noises or any alarms or anything. Ran good, and I saw some smoke which tells me there is oil burning in there somewhere!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaQG...e_gdata_player

Cory

Cory

no it did not and does not run good.
    sounds like and looks like it actually runs and thats about it.
    yamaha V6 carbed injects the oil into the intake assy.
    it does not mix oil with the fuel before the carbs.
    take care of that flooding issue and it will sound better.

Comment

Rodbolt,

This motor has been sitting for almost 2 years untouched. I cleaned the carbs out and traced down the spark problem, and was just interested in getting it fired up.

I'm going to get a carb kit and and I would suspect that rebuilding the carbs will make this motor run like a top.

Cory

Comment

your compression numbers look good.
        clean the carbs,replace the fuel pumps,pay close attention to the needle valves.
        do the water pump,thermostats and the pressure control valve.
        change the gear oil.
        go enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          your compression numbers look good.
          clean the carbs,replace the fuel pumps,pay close attention to the needle valves.
          do the water pump,thermostats and the pressure control valve.
          change the gear oil.
          go enjoy.
          That was the plan. How important would it be to do that pressure control valve? Everything else I already had planned.

Cory

Comment

the prv is a very cheap part, why question replacement?

Comment

Dont know what it does (the PRV), didnt know it was cheap. So thats why I ask the questions to learn! Just learned that there are two little fuel pumps on this motor too. Learned a lot in just two weeks!

Comment

no reason to change the valve,unless you break it.
                remove the cover,spring and valve.
                remove the grommet.
                clean the grommet pocket and install a new $2.50 grommet.
                reassemble.
                it controls block water pressure.
                if it sticks open or leaks at idle you get a hot horn after about 5 min of idle time.

Comment

Do those PRV's ever break? Maybe, from heat damage or the spring rots out? Seems like a pretty sturdy part. I know mine was pretty scaled up when I cleaned it.

Comment

Originally posted by classicmako View Post
                    Do those PRV's ever break? Maybe, from heat damage or the spring rots out? Seems like a pretty sturdy part. I know mine was pretty scaled up when I cleaned it.
                    Whats it look like?? Can I just take mine off and clean it with carb cleaner or something?

Cory

Comment

My Yamaha excel

Hello all, just this year I decided to pull out my fishing boat to use after 2 years in storage. The motor is 1989 Yamaha Excel 225 hp. Putting the boat in the water I found out that it isn't working correctly, the motor starts up every single time and idles find. When taking it high speed, the motor does not get full power, about 30mph instead of 50+.

What I have done:
                      Carl rebuild
                      New fuel pumps
                      Seafoam spray
                      Separate gas tank with new hose and primer

I'm thinking it may be the actual computer box, if so where the hell do I find one of those?

Comment

Reeds

Don't be like my 1988 70 hp etlg outboard mine were bad reeds and one was stuck. But hey what do I know... changed everything carb rebuild impeller etc ended up being the reeds worn out..

Comment

Working...
                        X