2000 200 H.P. HPDI crankshaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 200 H.P. HPDI crankshaft question

Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have been lurking the threads for a while. I have recently completed a rebuild of a 2000 200 H.P. HPDI and am 99% through. Of course, at the end I have one extra bolt and one bolt that I'm missing. A little background on what has been done and why. I had a hole in the head of the #1 cylinder which I discovered had caused damage to the head, 2 pistons, crankshaft and a few other items. I went ahead and did a complete rebuild as I had the powerhead torn that far down. I ordered a rebuild kit from WSM Performance Parts which included the pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. I ordered 2 heads from HydroTec Marine. I ordered major parts such as crankshaft, 1 connecting rod, bolts, etc. from Boats.net and received OEM parts. Everything went together very smooth as I have been reading and doing my homework on what was going to be involved. My problem is, when wrapping up the top of the motor and installing the fuel pump pulley on the end of the crankshaft, the only bolt left would not fit. It was just a little to big. I figured that I either had one extra bolt for somewhere else and lost the original bolt or something was wrong. I ordered a new bolt from boats.net and received it today but it appears to be the exact same as the bolt I have and won't fit. I went to a local fastner company and bought a 6mm, 7mm and 8mm bolt figuring I would just install another one if I could find one to fit. The 8mm is to big as well as the 7mm, the 6mm fits the hole but I can pull on the bolt and the threads rub but don't hold. Could it be possible that I got the wrong crankshaft in the yamaha packaging and this is for another motor? What has me puzzled is that it fit without any issues and after checking all my tolerences, everything was within spec. At this point, I am not getting any help from the Yamaha Customer Service with regards to what the bolt size it should be, but both bolts I have are 8mm. Is it possible to drill and tap or try and retap the existing hole without messing up a $1350 crankshaft or is there another way to make sure that the crankshaft is correct that I received? I should also note that the crankshaft was in the package with the correct markings and part #'s. The motor has cranked and run for the first 10 minute start without any problems although I did have a 5/16" standard bolt rigged in holding the fuel pump pulley. It ran smooth once started and didn't show any signs of problems as I would think it would with the wrong crankshaft. Sorry for the rambling, but I am as lost as it gets at this point and don't want to screw something up that I spent so much time and money rebuilding. Thanks to all for the help in advance and can't wait to chime in if I can help anyone else out.

Thanks,
    Brad

I would contact the place you bought it from and talk with them and see if they could check other cranks to see what is going on.

Is it tapped?
    I would be trying to see what size hole and what the treads size and pitch was, just to be able to talk to someone about it

Comment

it should be an 8mmx1.25mm thread.
      normally I would say send it back.
      however if its assembled and running I would say drill it,helicoil it and enjoy it.

Comment

That's what I needed...

Thanks for the replies. I realize now that I was looking at it all wrong. I forgot that the pully was attached to the bracket on the flywheel and not the crankshaft. Talk about a huge relief. This is my first outboard rebuild and was thinking it was going to be my second also. I will drill and tap it out and if it screws up, I'll buy another since it's not $1300. Thanks again and have a great day....

Comment

Working...
        X