Trim indicator not working on 70hp 2stroke combo tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim indicator not working on 70hp 2stroke combo tach

I installed a NEW 70TLRC (2004) 2stroke and NEW digital tach combo (6yr-w0035-e1-00), everything works but the trim indicator (stays all the way down on guage).
    I suspect the trim sender, how can it be checked?

Thanks!

sensor is probably seized up on the tilt tube. lube it with a good penetratin oil to break it free,workin it up n down, then lube up the spring area with marine grease.

Comment

I checked the sensor, it moves freely up and down (this is a BRAND NEW ENGINE). Does anybody know what the Ohm readings and which leads to be tested, etc. to narrow it down to the sensor itself. ( I would think I should be able to connect an ohmmeter to the appropriate leads from the sensor, move it up & down and see specified readings, whatever they are). I guess this is how it works??
      thanks

Comment

ok it goes up and down but does it go up and down with your motor to show position. mine have a clip around the tilt tube that contacts the sensor to move the sensor arm.

your yamaha maintenence manual will have the specs you are looking for .

Comment

Rider,
          Are you from Corpus Christi? Isn't that what CCRider stands for? Just wondering - was born there at the Naval Base - many years ago.
          According to my Yamaha shop manual:
          Trim sensor resistance - pink wire to black wire measure 582 - 873 ohm and orange to black, measure 800 - 1200 ohm as the arm is moved thru its entire range. Follow the wires from the sensor down to a connector and disconnect to do the resistance test.
          Make sure the sensor arm is contacting the cam on the trim sensor ring that is mounted on the tilt tube. On my 2000 C115, the ring has an index nipple on the inside that fits into a hole in the tilt tube so that there is no adjustment. On other models, maybe yours, the ring is adjustable - if it is, loosen the tension screw and rotate the ring so that it comes in contact with the sensor arm. You will have to adjust it by trial-and-error until you get it about right.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

Ken, thanks and sorry I'm so long getting back (been too HOT to mess with other than "critical" problems!)
            Anyway, I traced the wire from the sensor back to the connector (on starboard side of engine), disconnect and ohm'ed it.. nothing. There are only 2 leads (pink & black). I'm planning on taking the rig in as the motor is brand new and warranty just started, hopefully the dealer will replace the sensor free of charge.
            thanks again, by the way.. no I'm not from Corpus Christi, I'm up in So. MD on the Chesapeake Bay (Patuxent River).
            Charlie

Comment

Hey, Charlie,
              Since I posted to you last, I found out that the newer trim sensors are two wire, instead of three wire, as you discovered - still, you should have been able to see a change in ohms between the two wires when you moved the trim sensor arm.
              Being under warranty, the dealer should fix this for you w/o charge.
              Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

I have the same problem with a 4 stroke Yamaha 115

Where is the tilt tube located on a 2006 Yamaha 115? I have a 2006 boat that suffers from the same problem described in this post. My dealer fixed it once already when I first bought the boat but the dealer went out of business and it's three seasons later... I suspect the tilt tube is stuck. Thanks for your help. By the way, is there an online manual for the 115 I can get?

Vinny

Comment

Vinny
                  Check the trim sender cam, may be broken. It's number 1 in diagram, if it is broken or cracked use the new metal one part number 99999-03830-00
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts 2006 and Later 2-stroke 115TXR 6E5-1014963 BRACKET 2 Diagram
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X