2005 F40 Cylinder head gasket:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F40 Cylinder head gasket:

Hi new to the forum however it looks like the place to ask! I picked up a 2005 F40 with 67 hours on it. During the first run of the season apparently the high water temp alarm sounded, operation continued, the engine throttled back, and then shut down and was towed back to the dock.

Customer brought the engine to the Yamaha shop who told the customer that the water pump impeller had failed, and that the cylinder head was warped.

I received the engine with the cylinder head and all associated hardware in a box, all taped up, sans the head gasket, which was "lost". I checked the head for straightness and cracks, the head is perfect. I ordered a new head gasket
    from this site, and am ready to re-assemble the engine.

I'm a little hung up on aligning the timing belt. With the #1 cylinder at TDC the marks on the timing tab on the flywheel aren't even close to the arrow on the front of the block. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by clipperskipper View Post
    Am I missing something?
    I think you are missing the factory service manual.

Comment

Originally posted by seahorse5 View Post
      I think you are missing the factory service manual.
      The factory service manual reads "align the timing mark TDC on the flywheel with the timing mark on the front of the cylinder block". With the timing mark at TDC, the #1 cylinder is app 1/4" down the bore. Is this correct?

Comment

TDC is exactly that.
        TOP DEAD CENTER.
        its possible the pointer is not set correctly or the flywheel key is sheared.
        but TDC is simply that.
        its the piston at top dead center of the crank throws rotation.

Comment

Working...
        X