Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor support while trailering

Hello,
    On a previous boat I had I used 2 sections of 1-1/4" PVC pipe which I sliced a section out of the side and slipped it over the trim rams (stern drive).
    Now with 2 Yamaha F150s I was wondering if I could just cut 2 sections of PVC pipe 10" long and slip one over each trim ram?
    Would this work ok?
    Thanks

You could but

There is product called my wedge rubber supports. Some people really like them.

Comment

wedge

Thanks, yes I know about the wedges ... I was just wondering if the weight of the engine bearing down on the pvc pipe would hurt the top of the trim cylinder. The other boat had a Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive and the weight wasn't bearing straight down like the Yamaha outboard. (well almost straight down)
      It sure would be more economical if the PVC pipe would be ok ...I thought maybe someone else was already doing this and could have some inout as to how well it works. By looking at it ..it appears like all the weight of the engine would be applied to the shell of the trim cylinder ...wouldn't that be hard/dangerous on the cylinder (possible crack if hit a large bump)?

Comment

look in the yamaha accessories catalog.
        Yamaha makes the supports.
        for twin 150's you only need two.
        I think you can order them from this site.

Comment

I've seen those Wedge things on one motor, looked like it worked fine, but guess I'll just stick with my Transom Saver, since it transfers the motor's bouncing weight into the trailer frame and not into the tilt/trim unit.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replys guys,
            I think I will go with the transom saver also as I would want the bouncing weight to go to the trailer (not worried about the transom but AM worried about the stress on the trim unit.)
            Thanks again

Comment

Why not just let it ride on the trim cyl. I would guess they take alot more stress when underway at planning speeds than you'll ever put on them on a trailer.
              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
              X