F 40 airleak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 40 airleak?

I have a 2009 F 40 LEHA that I suspect has an airkeak in to the fuel system because my filter/water dectector is operating at 3/4 full. The motor runs ok most of the time, but will cut out at both idle and speed at others. Seems like a fuel starvation issue when it happens. Any advice out there is welcome.

as the filter cup is on the suction side of the lift pump its normal for it to be 1/2 full when running.
    however your F40 may or may not have an issue with the VST pump.
    take your engine PID by a yamaha dealer and have it checked for bullitens.

Comment

only one service tech on maui

I had a visit with the service tech today. He told me the filter cup should be full and the service bullitens are confidential to dealer ony. He also admitted he doesn't work on many Yamahas.
      My confidence with this company is near zero. What are my other options?
      F40 LEHA 6GB L 1000324 G 10/08

Comment

your options?
        find a real dealer.
        the bullitens are NOT confidential.
        the filter cup CANNOT and WILL NOT remain full when running.
        beware the flying monoes.

Comment

only tech listed on Yamaha website

Roger that! That's why none of my motors have ever been in that shop. The only other dealers listed are on Oahu and the Big island of Hawaii.
          Can you, will you or anyone else out there run my numbers?

F40 LEHA 6GB L 1000324 G 10/08

I've run Yamaha four stroke 40hp commercially since 2001 and have the carbed models pretty wired. I have a service manual in hand and a fuel pressere gauge coming in the mail for my EFI model.

Comment

look at bulliten # o2010-0007.
            your F40 is covered, affected seriel number range for the F40leha is 6BGL-1000038-1012919.
            can be identified two ways.
            1 is the original pump outlet cover was black, the updated one is brown. or two a blue paint dot on the lower front corner of the VST.

Comment

bulliten # o2010-0007

Where do I find bulliten # o2010-0007 ?

Comment

look at bulliten # o2010-0007

Is this a warranty/tech exchange issue or purchase new parts? Which parts are affected? I would like to look at this bulliten.

Comment

fuel pressure readings

I measured 39psi at key on then 29.5 at engine running.
                  Happy Easter

Comment

service bulliten

I got a copy of service bulliten o2010-007 then looked up the part #90891-40792-00 on boats.net. Is this really all I need to buy in order to stay away from my only on island "cetified tech"?

Comment

why buy it?
                      if your PID range is covered then parts and labor are free at any authorized yamaha marine service facility.

Comment

That's what I'm pondering now. I'm going to give my local tech a call and see if he looked up the bulliten for me like I asked for last week. We'll see how he replies. Again if I can get this kit for $65 and shipping, do the job myself. It will save me a couple of hours on the road.

Comment

why buy it?
                          make a deal.
                          its not a difficult job its just a pain in the rear job.
                          takes about an hour.
                          may take you slightly longer.
                          I can do things a bit faster than most the yamaha tech reps.
                          I challenge them occasionally but only once got an acceptance, beat him by 4 hours on a pair of z200 powerhead replacements. he did one, I did the other.

however I have done this type of work over 35 years.
                          Ford dealers,porsche,mazda,volkswagon, mercury marine,mariner,honda,tohatsu,suzuki,yamaha,go devil,chevrolet, mercruiser,volvo penta,Force,chysler marine,took a few years off programming and setting up CNC lathes and Mills for Gearhart-Owens (GOEX) explosives then about 6 years in the United States Navy's advanced electronics thingy.
                          and some part time jobs learning how to bore blocks,grind cranks and such.
                          I actually should be a millionaire but I just enjoy what I do so I bought a house on the water and I am living the american dream.
                          somebody help me .

Comment

I just talked with the tech and he looked up the bulliten while I waited. He says he'll call back after researching a little more.

Rodbolt17, Thank you kindly for all you help. Your life experience, knowledge, familiarity and understanding of these systems is greatly appriciated.
                            Respectfully, Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X