Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 HPDI 150 oil tank won't auto fill eng tank

The facts, 2000 HPDI 150hp 80 hours.
    Under all power settings the transom or remote oil tank won't pump oil to the engine mounted tank.
    The warning system works and sounds the horn at the lower line on the engine mounted tank.
    The switch on the engine will fill the engine mounted tank when held.

The questions:
    Is there more then one pump or is the switch actuating the same pump as the automatic system uses?
    Is the automatic system pump continuously or is it float or otherwise activated at the engine mounted tank?
    Is there a easy way to test for the failure?

Thanks, Mark

Use the search function on this site as the oil transfer system gets discussed here almost weekly with the same old questions.

Comment

ok
      the remote tank has a single on/off switch called SWB.
      SWB controls the green lamp on the tach when the switch is closed.
      this indicates sufficient oil avalible for transfer.
      SWB OPEN or a wire open and the green lamp goes out,yellow lamp is lit and automatic transfer is PROHIBITED but MANUAL wil work.
      the engine oil tank has 3 switchs on a single post.
      SW1,SW2 and SW3.
      SW1 closed commands the ECU to turn off the transfer pump.
      SW2 closed commands the ECU to turn the transfer pump on.
      SW3 closed commands the ECU to turn on the transfer pump,illuminate the red lamp set the audible and set RPM reduction.
      ALL the manual switch does is ground the pump blue wire,bypassing the ECU's grounding of the same blue wire.
      so we know the pump 12V circuits are ok.
      now we have to check the wiring from the ECU to the engine tank and the switchs.
      see how simple this is?

Comment

Check the Filter

The remote tank has tiny filter in it. It doesn't take much to clog it and that will cause your problem. I know this from experience. All it takes is some condensation or dirt to clog it.

Comment

a quick filter test?
          remove the water trap from the engine oil tank, drain into a suitable container.
          replace the trap.
          turn on the key, tach should show 3 bars flashing, audible should sound and the tank refilled in under 180 seconds.

Comment

Thanks for the help, Got it!

After reading through all the replys and other threads I was able to understand the relationship between the oil tank float sensor and engine tank and sensor.
            My dash indicator was showing the middle position (yellow), which indicated the tank was not full. So I was directed to the float sensor in the main tank. I removed the sensor and tested it. It seems to be a simple switch that just removes power to the pump when the tank is empty, and was ok.
            I was then directed to TEST EACH LEAD in the four wire oil tank harness, this is done by disconecting each end and using an ohm meter to check continuty.
            BINGO!!!
            The BLACK wire had a nick in it, and was corroded through.
            I cleaned and spliced the wire, and retested it. That was it !!!
            Since the wire is in the bilge, I'll need a waterproof connection, so I'm off to the store to get this one behind me.
            Thanks for the help.
            Mark

Comment

gradefull

With a similiar oil transfer problem would the fix be the same for 1994 175 hp motor..any reply would helpfull

Comment

see enclosed chart
                Attached Files

Comment

Can't say for sure it would be in your engine but I had same problem and it was the trim indicator that would not allow the transfer. The switch was reading more than 30 degrees up and that cancelled the transfer. Changed the trim indicator and the unit worked.

Comment

for the US market.
                    only the 2.6L v6 used the trim sender for any oil control function and then only from 1990-1995.

Comment

Working...
                    X