1996 115hp - Starts and Idles Great, "Chokes out" when I hit the Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 115hp - Starts and Idles Great, "Chokes out" when I hit the Throttle

I just took my Skeeter out fishing for the first time this year yesterday. I had it serviced back in February from I guy that I trust. Towards the end of last year, I was having trouble fouling plugs and it just wasnt running right.

He cleaned out the "pilot tube(s)" and carb, among other things like fixing a few small wiring issues. I told him the symptoms and he said he took it out for a test run(he's right on the water) and that she was all fixed up and running hot(in a good way).

So yesterday, it started great, and idled fantastic. I could advance throttle it and it would run great at high rpms without missing a beat. Then I hit the throttle and don't get much response, I could get up to about 1500-2000 rpms(not planed out) and if I went any further on the throttle, it would "choke out" the engine and it would die.

It always started back up immediately and I finally(30 min.) got it to plane out, trim it up and run at about 4000 rpms. BUT, it still isn't right.

I don't know how to approach my repair guy, and I lack basic knowledge of outboards to have any idea where to start, so as yall helped so much last summer. Any guesses as to the problem or how to approach it is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Check compression. May need carbs cleaned and fuel pumps checked.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

typically with your symtoms it goes,test spark and compression then fix the fuel system.

Comment

Working...
      X