1999 Yamaha F25TLRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha F25TLRX

Hello, I just got this boat and motor (1999 yamaha F25TLRX) and got it started after the previous owner couldn't fix it and let it sit for a long time. I have a few questions as this motor has/had several things wrong with it. I have gone over it and fixed some things. I replaced the fuel pump, new spark plugs, new fuel filter, new oil and filter, new ignition coil, new fuel line and bulb. Owner had mechanic replace water pump and rebuild carb previously. I took carb off and cleaned it out completely twice (looked like old gas residue inside). In the process of all this the prime start inside piece with the spring broke off. I know this part is made to help cold starts. Is this piece necessary for the motor to run well besides during starts? Is it better to leave that piece out completely or leave it in blocking the port there all the time until I decide to replace?
    Originally I had weak spark (checked with an in line "light" spark plug tester and by holding plug close to engine). Ohms check out on the stator and ignition coil and pulser coil. But appeared to have some short to ground from the stator. I unplugged the rectifier and that seemed to fix the short to ground and seemed to allow more power to the spark plugs and allowed the engine to start and idle. What part is the actual problem? Stator, rectifier, CDI?
    At this point the motor would idle and idle in forward and reverse, but would die when given any gas throttle. I checked compression again and appeared to be about 120 each cylinder cold. I removed carb again and cleaned out completely again with carb cleaner, blowing out all jets/ports etc. I think there was an issue with the float and needle seating correctly. I installed everything and got it to start and run with more throttle on the garden hose this time and it sounded good to me. This was with the prime start inside piece left out and without the air intake silencer placed. Is the air intake silencer needed? It is annoying and hard to put back on. Have not re-water tested yet. Does it sound like the ignition spark issue was resolved by unplugging the rectifier? Is the prime start needed? Does it sound like the carb has been fixed and adjusted correctly?
    This motor is not equiped with a tach or any gauges. Is that normal for this motor? Would a tach be possible and easy to add? How do I know if I am at the correct RPMs for idle etc? How do I know if/when the motor is overheating or having issues without gauges?
    thank you for your help and time,

You do need to get the prime starter repaired to get it to run properly.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Maybe the moderater can help me. I have a 1999 30elrx that has cracked cylinder head. The motor has the oil injection system. I would like to buy the non oil injection cylinder head assembly and convert to pre mix. Will the non oil injection parts (cylinder head assembly) fit the other oil injection parts?

Comment

Working...
      X