Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50DEO Starter motor toasted

Hi.

I have a 50 DEO with a toasted starter motor.

I desperatly need a part number and a solid supplywebshop to buy a starter from. Can U guys help ???

Here are all the numbers i found on the outboard itself. 50DEO 6H5L 387294

If this helps in getting the right starter.

Generally its just the brushes, if youre able to dissassemble, you can check them yourself.
    You should post your motor year and check boats.net or yamaha-motor.com for part prices.

Comment

Maverick,
      I agree with JB in that you can probably save yourself some money by rebuilding that starter.
      Get a Yamaha shop manual for your motor at www.yamahapubs.com. - It will guide you on starter teardown and rebuild.
      If you have to get another starter and want Yamaha brand, I recommend the sponsor of this forum, boats.net.
      Also, you might want to check ebay.com - I see used and aftermarket starters there. Type in "yamaha outboard" for your search.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Ok, but the problem is, the starter has toasted the brushes, the bush bearings are shot and the armature is toast too, so I guess I will need a new one.

Thanks, Ill check out this manual web for a part number.

Comment

Maverick,
          Yeah, sounds like you are going to need a little more than brushes.
          You might want to check into getting the starter motor rebuilt - there are shops here in the USA that completely gut out and rebuild starters - try to find one where you are, remove the pinion gear and spring and retainer and ship the starter motor to them. That pinion gear alone is worth over $100 new.
          I have seen after market starters for about half what Yamaha wants - but then you have to be careful of the quality.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken, but I really just want to buy a new starter. My problem is that I cant find any info about a 50 DEO or a parts manual on this web or other websites. If anyone here has a more knowledge on this particualr model and can help me find where to buy a correct replacement starter then I would appreciate that very much.
            50DEO 6H5L 387294
            I dont know the year make of this motor as I bought it second hand and all I have are the numbers above.

Comment

Working...
            X