8 HP Yamaha siezed over winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 HP Yamaha siezed over winter.

I am trying t o comission my dinghy motor and found it is very hard to rotate.
    I had to remove the recoil and use a wrench on the flywheel nut to get the engine to rotate. I remove the exhaust port and did not see any rust in the cylinders.

2004 8 HP manual start
    I sprayed some PB blaseter in to the crank chambers and it got a little easier to crank.

I drained my gear case in the fall and refilled. It had no water in the oil.

What do I do now?

thanks,

Mike

Maybe the rings rusted to cylinder walls, but if you can turn it with some PB Blaster or similar, then get it to start up and run, it may loosen up O.K., but hope the corrosion is not on main, wrist pin or rod bearings, requiring major repairs. Fogging/Winterizing at end of season would prevent this. Good Luck!

Comment

You can drop the lower unit just to make sure that is not what is binding.

Inf that was not the problem then I would think you will have to pull the plug to inspect things and then the head.

Just had a thought, make sure the no start in gear mechanism is not what has got your motor not wanting to turn over

Comment

Working...
      X