Yamaha F250TUR overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F250TUR overheating?

Took the boat out for a quick run today just to blow out the cobbwebs. Temp guage went up to about the 75% mark when running wide open. Running at 1/2 to 3/4 thottle the indicator would remain in the middle of the temp display. Returned to normal after cutting the throttle back to about 25% and ran for a few minutes. Is this normal? Should the engine run a little hotter when running so fast? Just had the lower unit repaired with a new Prop shaft and seals, and also had the impeller changed with housing. Last year when *****ing, 5mph or so, the engine would over heat and I would get an alarm and had to shut down for 15 min or so. I hope the impeller change will take the overheating issue at *****ing speed away. I wonder if I need to change the Temp sensor or somthing else.

Testing thermostats and temp sensor will tell you if they have a problem. Pulling and inspecting PRV , replacing grommet and cleaning area may help. water pumps are always a good idea if overheating

Comment

what guage package are you reading the temp from?
      after market or command link?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        what guage package are you reading the temp from?
        after market or command link?
        Command link I would think. Standard package from Yamaha.

Comment

nothing is "standard"
          could have been rigged with command link,digital 6Y5, or analog.
          then there is aftermarket.
          choice is up to the hull manufacturer or the guy that rigged it.
          with comand link its normal to see it at about 75%.
          if you get yor command link book out you can actually set it to see the actual temp.
          up and running above 4000 RPM 180*F or so is about normal.
          *****ing I have seen as low as 90*F.
          its a lot of aluminimum heat sink your dealing with and unlike a car it uses raw water for cooling.

Comment

Uploading 2 photos. One where all the arrows are in the 50% (normal range). The second picture is what I think the system is running hot.
            Attached Files

Comment

command link square.
              its about normal at 4000 RPM and above.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                command link square.
                its about normal at 4000 RPM and above.
                So the picture on the right is ok if it's running at 4000 rpm or more? just so I follow you right.

Comment

Working...
                X