Wiring an ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring an ignition switch

I am going to intstall a control box (shifter/binnacle mount) on my center console, to run my T9.9 ELRS Yamaha kicker motor. My plan was to put an ignition switch in the dash area, off-on-start, and direct wire that to the motor without a factory harness. Am I correct in the wiring that I just need the +12v on the "start" connection of the switch, running to the + terminal of the starter solenoid, and also then having the battery +12v connected so that it is supplied from the switch in the "run" position, back to the motor to which connection? I will have the two main motor battery leads connected to the +12v and negative main battery cables. I'm too cheap to buy the 20' length factory harness wire, and I have a Morse Universal-style binnacle control, so there's no key or harness lead on it. Is the ignition +12v from the run position the only lead I need (other than the +12v that will go from the "start" position to the starter solenoid)?

I do not think you need a 12v+ from switch to the motor in on position just the wire to ground out to turn it off

Comment

Here is a chart with Yamaha wire colors
      Wiring where used color codes for Yamaha outboard boat motors.

Outboards do not need 12v + run from ignition switch back to motor to make it to stay running, you just ground the kill wire when you want it to stop running.
      So you will need a 12v+(Red)wire,a start (brown)wire, and kill wire (white), and a ground (black)wire

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Here is a chart with Yamaha wire colors
        Wiring where used color codes for Yamaha outboard boat motors.

Outboards do not need 12v + run from ignition switch back to motor to make it to stay running, you just ground the kill wire when you want it to stop running.
        So you will need a 12v+(Red)wire,a start (brown)wire, and kill wire (white), and a ground (black)wire
        Okay. It means I need an ignition switch (OFF-ON-START) which would have the brown wire to the START terminal, a battery + to the battery connection on the switch, and a separate wire to a "kill" switch that is connected to a ground source, with the other end spliced to the white wire at the motor? (The "ON" porition would not be connected to anything then, as it is not needed?)

Comment

The key switch when in the off position should take the white wire to ground.
          The on portion is for anything you need to have 12 + to like bottom machine, GPS, or other accessories

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            The key switch when in the off position should take the white wire to ground.
            The on portion is for anything you need to have 12 + to like bottom machine, GPS, or other accessories
            I have a GENERIC OFF-ON-START (spring-loaded start position) switch.

This means the 12v+ is at the B (battery) terminal connector, the "ON" would take the 12v + to whatever device is connected (like the igniiton 12v+ switched supply), and the "START" would have the brown lead to the starter solenoid, giving it the 12v+ to crank the starter.

There is NO ground connection on my switch; just 3 terminals. I will connect as above, and use a ground wire from the negative battery side, through the kill switch, and on to the motor where I'll splice into the white wire (ignition) lead to ground it and kill the motor. What I wanted to be sure of is that grounding the white wire at the motor would not damage the CDI or other parts there.

thanks

Comment

What is a CDI?

Comment

Capacitor Discharge Ignition system. CDI is a term used to describe the black box that does several functions to facilitate a motor being started, run, and turned off.

More sophisticated motors (which use a different configuration for spark initiation, timing control, etc etc) are referred to as an ECU. Engine Control Unit. Sometimes known as an ECM for engine control module.

Comment

Working...
                X