F40FETL Fuel pump problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40FETL Fuel pump problem

Last week my Yamaha F40FETL purchased in September '09 refused to start 5 miles offshore.
    The dealer examined the engine yesterday and told me that a fuel additive had damaged some part of the electric pump.
    He said that it was a known problem and Yamaha had agreed to send him a repair/replacement parts kit to rectify the problem.
    The engine serial number is 6BG1005119.
    Has anyone on this forum ever heard of this problem?
    I am waiting for the dealer to contact me when he has the part(s).
    The engine has been very lightly used and has only run for about 14 hours.
    I would be grateful for any replies as this has knocked my confidence in the engine somewhat.

ask said dealer to show you the technical bulliten that yamaha sent them about the F40 fuel pump.
    then laugh.
    then find an honest dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Feenagh105 View Post
      Last week my Yamaha F40FETL purchased in September '09 refused to start 5 miles offshore.
      The dealer examined the engine yesterday and told me that a fuel additive had damaged some part of the electric pump.
      He said that it was a known problem and Yamaha had agreed to send him a repair/replacement parts kit to rectify the problem.
      The engine serial number is 6BG1005119.
      Has anyone on this forum ever heard of this problem?
      I am waiting for the dealer to contact me when he has the part(s).
      The engine has been very lightly used and has only run for about 14 hours.
      I would be grateful for any replies as this has knocked my confidence in the engine somewhat.

All under warranty with no cost to you I hope.
      I wonder if the additive is ethanol
      How did you make it back in from 5 miles out?

Comment

We had drifted another half mile from the shore on the ebb tide while trying to start the main engine and had almost flattened the battery. Our auxilliary engine made some headway against the tide and the main engine eventually started after the battery was swapped for the fully charged spare.

When I got home (the boat is on a trailer) I started the engine and ran it for 20 minutes and then stopped it and let it cool down for another 20 minutes.
        The engine would not start again after that - so the fault is intermittent.
        I am hoping the dealer will contact me quickly to resolve the problem and I intend to clarify the position with Yamaha after the pump is fixed.

Does anybody know if damaged parts removed under warranty are sent back to Yamaha for appraisal or as proof that work has been carried out?

The dealer told me that he had never come across this problem before but inferred that the person he spoke to about the dealership's warranty claim was aware of this type of problem and that it was a fuel additive damaging a plastic or rubber pipe in the pump.

Comment

like I say.
          make your own decisions.
          have your dealer look up tech bulliten 02010-007.
          it explains the F40 HP pump failure and the cure.
          this only covers US market motors but I am fairly sure the international market got some of the same pumps.

Comment

I contacted the dealer today and he told me that he will contact me when the parts arrive.
            Apparently the parts/replacement kit referred to consists of a complete replacement pump and gaskets.
            He further explained that Yamaha had issued a TSI (an acronim for:Technical Service Information) about this problem and the replacement pump is somewhat modified and cures the problem.
            This further conversation with the dealer has eased my mind.
            Thanks to rodbolt17 and 99yam40 for your replies.
            Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
            X