Very stiff to steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very stiff to steer

I have a T9.9 that seems to be extremely hard to pivot on the steering. I was told by previous owner that it just needs to have a torch applied to the steering housing that the steering shaft runs through (the vertical shaft in the housing), as the grease gets stiff.

Is this common, or do I have some issue here that needs fixing?

thanks

Maybe that motor has a swivel friction screw that's too tight?...worth checking it out..

Comment

Swivel friction screw too tight, or in a very bad need of greasing.
      Use a greasing gun ideally with marine grease in

Comment

Originally posted by powrguy2 View Post
        I have a T9.9 that seems to be extremely hard to pivot on the steering. I was told by previous owner that it just needs to have a torch applied to the steering housing that the steering shaft runs through (the vertical shaft in the housing), as the grease gets stiff.

Is this common, or do I have some issue here that needs fixing?

thanks

If it has been in salt water, it could have rust/ corrosion in places that are a pain to get to. Check you parts breakdown and see if there are plastic bushings that could be hurt if heated up

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          If it has been in salt water, it could have rust/ corrosion in places that are a pain to get to. Check you parts breakdown and see if there are plastic bushings that could be hurt if heated up
          Talked to previous owner, and he told me the motor had been sitting quite a while. The grease gets stiff, he said, and he would just take a torch and heat the housing where the swivel shaft is running through, then put in fresh grease. I used a heat gun, and then pumped new grease as the old came out the top end of the collar. There's one grease fitting near the bottom, and no grease came out the bottom. I did see a bit of water come out with the old grease, so I am assuming there may be slight corrosion inside. Working the motor back and forth, I finally loosened its movement, but still is pretty tight, I think. I kept working it back and forth, pumping more grease, and repeating until I could at least swivel it by hand without too much struggle. I think in the parts drawing there's a bushing and o-ring at the bottom, which keeps water out, I assume. I will repeat the process again tomorrow, as I don't want to tear it apart yet and disassemble the shaft/transom mount if I don't have to.

Also, the "locking pin" that holds the motor in the straight ahead position is missing, and I am not concerned about that. I thought there might be some steering friction adjuster or something that I didn't know was in there, and that's why I posted this question. I believe the shaft simply rides in an upper and lower bushing/sleeve, and that's based on the parts drawing. I am getting a manual (Clymer), but I don't think it's gonna be that detailed. It's the one that covers 9.9-100HP 4-strokes.

thanks

Comment

"Swivel Friction Screw"

Originally posted by axolotl98 View Post
            Swivel friction screw too tight, or in a very bad need of greasing.
            Use a greasing gun ideally with marine grease in
            What is the "swivel friction screw" ? I don't know what that is, or where it's located ?

Comment

Originally posted by powrguy2 View Post
              I thought there might be some steering friction adjuster or something that I didn't know was in there, and that's why I posted this question.
              Its exactly what you mentioned as steering friction adjuster...You will find its whereabouts in the manual

Comment

Its exactly what you mentioned as steering friction adjuster...You will find its whereabouts in the manual
                Well, I don't have a manual. Can you tell me generally where I'm gonna find the adjustment on the motor? (I have a Clymer manual on order, but don't think it's going to be that definitive on my particular motor).

thanks

Comment

Not certain, but visit this link here

Yamaha Outboard Parts 2000 F9.9MLHY BRACKET 1 Diagram

Take a closer look at parts #24-#28, they are the ones regulating easiness of engine pivot...
                  Good luck

Comment

steering stiffness

Not certain, but visit this link here

Yamaha Outboard Parts 2000 F9.9MLHY BRACKET 1 Diagram

Take a closer look at parts #24-#28, they are the ones regulating easiness of engine pivot...
                    Good luck
                    I looked at the drawing for my motor, too, and saw that part. The bolt on there on my motor MAY be stripped, and I didn't tighten it further. I'm going to probably remove it, and see how the threads look. Even when I loosened it about 1/2 turn, there was not improvement in the stiffness from it.

thanks

Comment

I have a Yamaha F50 that won't steer anymore. My mechanic has heated it and re-greased it but can't free it. What are my options? it is a 2001.

Comment

Working...
                      X