Yamaha Pro V 150 off and On Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Pro V 150 off and On Acceleration

I have a 1994 Yamaha Pro-V 150 with old Hydro tec Power packs giving it about 218 HP.
    Last fall, while I was running about 45 MPH suddenly I heard a loud off and on grabbing or seizing sound every other second it seemed. It sounded like metal on metal but i'm not sure.
    I shut it off and restarted.. it was able to idle at 10 MPH, but when I hit the hotfoot accelerator harder it repeated the same sound and I shut it off.
    I was able to idle backto the dock at 10 MPH two miles with no problem.
    We have checked the spark plug firing which was ok and tried to recreate the sound in a water tub but could not relicate the problem. Lost water out of the tub may have limited out thrust time to not get the problem to replicate.
    We have taken off the lower unit.Nothing in the old fluid. Gears, and bearings and water pump look fine.
    Is there anything else mechanical we can check? Is there anything in the upper crankcase area to check or test?
    Somebody on another board said it may be ethanol in my gas gotten to the carburetor gaskets. He said in his motor {1990 GT 150}, the ethanol had softened the carb gaskets and the carb wanted to suck them inside, partially blocking the flow of air.

Anyway maybe somebody has a idea or two for us to checkout before we put it back on the water and try to relicate the problem. I'm a little skittish about doing that.

Thanks in advance
    Fishtiger

Sounds like a compression test is going to tell you it is already too late.

Comment

Working...
    X