dual station controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual station controls

Need help with adjusting my dual station controls. My system is the older model w/o actuaters. Purely mechanical 4 cables in (2 shift, 2 throttle) and 2 out ( 1 shift, 1 thottle) to motor. The dual station units are set close the motors, within 8' feet. Need advice on adjusting for smoother shifting. When I engage the throttles only they perform smoothly. The problem is when I include the shifting? Any rigging manuals that show trouble shooting or adjustments. Thanks

purely mechanical indicates they were not made by yamaha.
    show us a picture of the controls.

Comment

Pictures will take a couple of weeks, boat is 5 hours away. These DS units are from 1990 (so I'm told).

Comment

Yamaha 6X1-W0006-11-00-DUAL STATION KT(T) MSRP: $3,179.70
        Our Price: $2,543.76
        You Save (Off MSRP): $635.94 (20%)

REF.# : 1
        PART NUMBER: 6X1-W0006-11-00
        DESCRIPTION: DUAL STATION KT(T)

Comment

They are mechanical, part # is in previous thread.

Comment

which is why we need pictures.
            to my knowledge Yamaha marine never made a mechanical dual station control.
            all the yamaha dual stations I have seen and delt with had the actuator assy's.
            my personal boat is dual station but I use morse mechanical boxs.

Comment

How old are the cables? If the cables are old and stiff adjusting won't help.

Comment

The boat is 1996 GW Marlin. I kept the original cables on the lower helm. They work smoothly when disconnected (then again, there's no load applied?). The upper helm has new cables. How can I diagnose bad cables? Can one bad cable affect the rest? Do I disconnect one at a time by process of elimination. Performance Marine on this web page has a picture of this DS Unit under rigging & props 1989. Thanks

Comment

A bad cable can feel ok with no load. You can unhook the cables and have someone apply a little pressure to one end & see if you can move it freely.
                  Also if the throttle cable has a lot of preload on the idle stop it may shift hard?

Comment

Start with cables. Cables don't just GO out of adjustment.
                    They do however wear our, bend, kink, rust, get full of water etc. etc.
                    3-5 years on average before performance falls off, quickly.

Comment

The upper station has new cables which snake (no severe bends) back to the Control Boxes. The ends have a big 20" loop @ the CB. While operating the upper station(which are also stiff), can bad lower cables affect thier performance?
                      Last edited by solres01; 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

The more bends the more friction in moving controls. It is why most get the proper length cables installed instead of having 360deg loops.
                        Take one a a time loose and see what frees it up

Comment

Your first post 2 throttle 2 shift in & 1 throttle 1 shift out to the motor? If the 2 cables going to the motor are bad yes they can make both stations stiff or if somthing in the splitter box is tight, same thing.
                          Last edited by Michael j; 04-02-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

The cables to the motor are new( 8' ft from motors). Only the lower helm cables are old. I'm going to change the lowers this weekend and try to eliminate cable problems.

Comment

Working...
                            X