2004 F225 - fuel flow problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F225 - fuel flow problem

I have a 2004 F225. Changed the racor and checked the on-engine fuel filter last week. Put the boat in the water and it died after a few minutes of running for lack of fuel. Pumped the fuel line bulb and it started and ran for a few minutes then shutdown - reapeated this several times. It appears that the engine is not sucking fuel once the gas line is primed. Any ideas on what the problem might be. 1020 hours on the engine.
    Thanks for your advice. - JB

Fuel flow

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. Check your fuel line to make sure it is not kinked or collapsed between the motor and the bulb. Hard to check but you can always run a temp hose from your bulb to the motor outside your big tube to see if the line is kinked.

Comment

thanks, i'll check the fuel line again. Do you know if there is a pump on the engine that could fail and cause this problem?

Comment

I don't know about your year but mine (1994) has 3 fuel pumps on the engine. I "think" it depends on if you are fuel injected or not.

Comment

The F225 has an electric lift pump.
          that pump can stick or fail when sitting.
          easy to test its a simple 12V pump.
          it also has a 10 PSI check valve on the lift pump return side that if it fails the VST runs dry.

Comment

Has the motor been sitting? If not go back your filters you had apart and check the orings & seals. Sometimes the motor filter bowl is tough to get seated

Comment

In some installations a missing or leaking anti-siphon valve can cause the same symptoms. The electric lift pump only runs intermittently at low speeds so when it is off, the fuel can drain down the inlet line back into the tank or fuel filter. When the lift pump turns back on it has to pull the fuel back up through the line before it gets back to the lift pump to be delivered to the VST and before the pump shuts back off. As time goes on, the fuel delivered to the VST gets less and less and the lift pump is running dry and wearing quickly.

With a temporarily attached clear piece of fuel line at the engine filter inlet fitting, you can watch the cycle of events.

Comment

Working...
              X