water in lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in lower unit

i am new to this discusion stuff on a computer, but can anyone help me with a problem im having. i changed my lower unit oil in my 40 hp yamaha 2-stroke and water poured out of for about 3-4 seconds and the oil was really milky as it probably should be, is this going to be a seal prob. or water pump? any suggestions.

fill/drain/vent screw gaskets,driveshaft seal or propshaft seal... one or more is bad and with that much water most likely looking at a rebuild

Comment

any idea on how much this normally runs cost wise?

Comment

you can pressure test the lower unit to see where it is leaking, but you have to wonder how long the water was in it and has rust pits started on bearings and gears.

Only way to find out is to pull it apart and look

Comment

thanks to both of you jb123 and 99yam40 for your input, guess i will b takin it to the shop first thing in the morning.

Comment

As mentioned before, pressure test.
            However have in mind that a rebuild will not guarantee any results... you might still have water leaking-in after the rebuild...
            Discuss this in length with your mechanic

Comment

prressure testing

When pressurizing the lower unit, is it necessary to drain the oil or some of it? I would think regardless of having oil in it, if it holds pressure, it should be fine. Am I correct?

Comment

The test should be done without any oil in the lower unit.

Comment

Working...
                X