Boat controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat controls

I'm doing a ergonomics unit at university, for the unit I'm focusing on boat controls. My lecturer asked me why is it that boats don't use the same control systems as cars? It may seam like a stupid question to a lot of people but i cant actually find a answer on the internet, i was wondering if anyone knew why they don't.

Thanks

Craig

Originally posted by Craig Dexter View Post
    My lecturer asked me why is it that boats don't use the same control systems as cars?
    Probably for the same reason that airplanes do not have the same control systems as cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Dexter View Post
      My lecturer asked me why is it that boats don't use the same control systems as cars?
      Probably for the same reason that airplanes and motorcycles do not have the same control systems as cars.

Comment

Some do, some don't. what controls are you speaking about?
        some outboards have fly by wire now just like some cars. Some have steering wheels, some have foot feed for throttle

Why don't cars have auto pilot like boats and air planes?
        probably would cause a lot a wrecks. You ever hear the one about someone setting the cruse control on a motor home while heading down the freeway and then heading to the back to use the restroom.

There was a large boat(around 50 ft) that landed up on top of the south Quintana jetty's about middle way out last month high and dry. The paper said that police found blood all over the cabin and the owner finally called the next morning from home in Austin,Tx saying everyone was Fine. Makes you wonder if auto pilot is a good thing on boats also. I am sure the coast guard will be investigating.

This thread is really in the wrong part of the forums as it is not about Yamaha outboards
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-11-2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X