float levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float levels

hi i have a 98 130hp yamaha just wondering if any1 knows the correct float levels for the carbs and how to measure them any info would be great thnx

I have always set my floats so that they are level when you turn the carb upside down. this may not be correct..but it is how i have always done it.

Comment

float bowl gasket in place, carb upside down.
      from the gasket to the top edge of the float, about .620" plus or minus about .05".

Comment

How can you set level?

Doesnt the float just go up and down and have free motion? Going to take mine apart some day.

Comment

the floats control the level of fuel in the fuel bowl.
          to high and it runs rich to low and its lean.
          I would suggest some reading to actually lean how and why a carburator actually functions.

Comment

A lot like the float in the back chamber of a toilet, but a lot more critical regarding fluid level.

Comment

I think the Yamaha manual specifies 0.630" +/-0.020" (16.0 +/-0.5 mm). Floats installed, housing upside down measured from top of float opposite to pivot side down to housing wall with gasket removed.
              Makes a huge difference to engine handling if you ask me, mine was set too low from last service and struggled to start - particularly if motor was not trimmed all the way down. When I checked mine they were set at 19 mm, since the correction starts fine!
              Hope this helps!

Comment

thanks ill give it a go tommorow and let u know how i go

Comment

all good, EXCEPT, float gasket is INSTALLED when checking float height.

Comment

Touche1234

How does one adjust the float level on the 50---90 2/s carbs????????????

Comment

bend the tab , but be careful not to hurt the needle tip

Comment

Working...
                      X