DIY oil/filter change??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY oil/filter change??

Hi, I'm a new Yamaha F60 owner and about to do my first oil and filter change. I have an extraction pump like the owner's manual calls for. My question is about the filter. Does the filter drain out into the pan so that the oil it contains is going to be picked up by the pump?

If it doesn't, I can forsee a real mess when unscrewing the old filter, there's not much room around it to pick up any oil that leaks out as it it being unscrewed.

Has anybody done this little chore themselves? How did you handle it?

Thanks for your help

Gary

most of the oil drains out when you suction pan..some oil is left..I have an old towel i put under it.

Comment

DIY oil/filter

Thanks Sparkieboat,

I was hoping it would be something like that.

Gary

(DB)

Comment

never done it before in my life.
        makes a terrible mess according to my ex wifes cousins brother in laws second cousin that fixed a 49 ford tractor back home wunce.

actually, its not bad.
        give the filter a little drain back time.
        use some oil absorb type pads.
        I use a metal cup type filter wrench that makes life a bit easier.

Comment

do not listen to Rodbolt..he is a rank amateur..he does not know the difference between a spark plug and a fly wheel. besides that he is a retired old fart that lives in Puerto Rico or Venezuela or somewhere like that. he is always trying to tell people all they need is a new alternator because that was what was wrong with his brothers, cousins, best friends step moms tractor once.

Comment

Drain the oil, pull the spark plugs and spin the motor over a couple of revolutions, it will empty the filter nicely. there is still plenty of oil on the bearings for a few revs without any risk of damage, especially with the plugs out.
            Makes filter changes on F225-F350s almost bearable.

Comment

If im not mistaken

you should fill up yamaha 4strokes to 3/4 level

Comment

Working...
              X