prop shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop shaft removal

hi guys i have a 2001 90 hp yamaha 2 stroke out board the prop shaft is bent and i need to remove it
    i have most of it apart from the prop inwards but the shaft only moves about 10mm towards comming out.
    do i have to drop the leg down or disengauge the selector to get the shaft out?
    please help i am an automotive mechanic and the nearest dealer or workshop is over 600 kilometers away so taking it to a dealer is almost out of the question
    any help would be greatly appriecieated
    thank you

wombat,
    I just went thru this on a 95 C115 - actually, I watched my trusted marine mechanic do it because the shop manual calls out for several special tools which I do not have. Your 90 should be the same, but you really need a Yamaha shop manual to guide you along. You can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
    Here's the sequence to get that prop shaft out:
    1.Remove prop
    2.Drain gear oil
    3.Drop lower unit
    4.Remove shift rod assy.
    5.Remove ring nut and claw washer
    6.Remove propeller shaft housing assy.
    7.Remove shaft from housing assy.
    My mechanic used special tools - like ring nut (which was corroded badly) wrench, blow torch to heat up ring nut, air impact driver, slide hammer to get shaft assy out. Hopefully, your model outboard will not be as badly corroded as the 95 I worked on.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

thanks very much ken
      my marine mechanic mate told me i didnt need to drop the leg to get it out but he was wrong
      and after pricing the parts im better off to claim the insurance and let the pros fix it as parts here in australia are abou 4 times the price you guys can get them for
      once again thankyou for your time

Comment

Working...
      X