98 C90LTRX hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 C90LTRX hard to start

I have had Yamaha's on several boats, but this one is the hardest to start ever. Before I take this to a mechanic is there a checklist or anything thing that I can do to try that will make it easier to start? I dont think that there is a automatic or manual choke, so I am told. I was told that if the battery was weak it might have enough power to turn it over but you needed a certain amount of amps to start it. New boat now and have yet to put it in the water.....springs here in Fla and mechanics are busy, any help please. Thanks to all in advance.

Can you tell us your starting procedure that you use?
    What all has been done to this motor as far as maintenance goes?
    How old is fuel?
    Do you have a owners manual and have you read it?
    How about a service manual for it?
    Have you owned a motor with the prime start system before?

Comment

Sorry did not mention carbs were cleaned, new gas, new plugs, bulb was primed. No owners manual as usual with second hand boat and motor

Comment

Do you lift the fast idle lever or just leave it off and turn the key?

Look up your owners manual here http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...px?ls=outboard

Check your model # again it should be a C90TLRX maybe and that makes it a 1999

I just looked at the manual and it does not look like it covers the starting procedure for a prime start motor.

Anyway just prime with the bulb till firm and the turn the key to start for a few seconds then back off, wait a few seconds and hit it again, repeat. Should fire up on second or third turn of key. If you lift the idle arm past a certain spot it will kind of turn of some of the start help it is programed for.
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-04-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Fast idle would be the shift lever in neutral? If so no I do not.

Comment

Does that mean you do not leave it in the neutral position or you do not move it

Comment

I leave it in neutral

Comment

Check motor for good compression and good spark. A slow turning motor does not generate a real hot spark. So make sure you have a good battery.

If all that is good the you have fuel issues Still. It may take you a few times to get all the passages cleaned up and make sure you clean up the prime start system and all its passages. Check the diaphragm in it also. make sure fuel pump and lines are all good and clean too

Comment

I have no history of the battery and will start there, also will replace the bulb since it is probably 13 years old. Thanks for all your help. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Same motor as mine. Pump primer until hard to fill carb bowls, put emergency lanyard clip in place,gear shifter in neutral(center position), put neutral throttle lever in the closed(down) position. Turn key to crank motor over for about 3 or 4 seconds, let off on the key for a few seconds, then crank motor over and it should start right up, assuming your prime start is working. If it doesn't start then, turn the prime start lever(red plastic on front of center carb)to the emergency start position, then try to start motor. If it then doesn't start, then you may have problem with prime start system or other electrical/spark issues. You could spray some gas/oil mix in each carb and try to start it that way, if it does then that could eliminate electrical/spark issue and you can work on prime start. Good Luck!

Comment

Start with battery condition and proper motor set up (link and sync)

Comment

Working...
                      X