Fuel Water Separator - Mallory vs. Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Water Separator - Mallory vs. Yamaha

I just got down to replacing the filter on my 2005 90TLRD's fuel water separator, and found that it was a Mallory 10-micron model # 937801, not a Yamaha model.

Question is, are the Mallorys just as good as Yamaha? If so, easy...I can find a direct replacement online for the filter. If not...I'll have to replace the bracket with a Yamaha bracket and filter.

Unless...the brackets are standard, any idea if brackets accept filters from different manufacturers.
    2005 Xpress HD18CC
    2005 Yamaha 90

Rooting for the Yankees is like Rooting for the House in Blackjack

murray8144

A micron is the same for all manufacturers and the dirt doesn't know the difference. Mallory, Racor and Sierra are all good and I'm sure Yamaha puts their name on one or more of them. Prices vary and I suspect the only meaningful difference is total dirt capacity, but since even the small ones handle 250 hp V6's, any will do the job if changed at least once in a blue moon.

Of greater concern is finding dirt in your carbs when you already had a 10 micron filter. Sounds like your fuel hose downstream of the filter may be disintegrating, an all to often issue with the ethanol fuels and older fuel hose.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

to my knowledge the brackets are all the same..and you can use any filter you want...

Comment

thanks all - I rebuilt my carbs the other day, and no dirt was found, just a little gummed up gas.

after the carb re-build, it's running like a top

thanks for the info guys
        2005 Xpress HD18CC
        2005 Yamaha 90

Rooting for the Yankees is like Rooting for the House in Blackjack

Comment

cut the fiter open and see the different

Comment

Where does everyone purhase their separators?
            I'd like to find an online source that might me more economical then the one dealer I have locally.

Comment

have you checked this site for parts?

Comment

They sell parts here?

Comment

Yep, why do think there have the advertising all over the pages

all you have to do is click on the red Purchase Yamaha Parts at the top right of the page.

Comment

water seperator filter

I use a Mercury filter ( 35-802893T) on my Yamaha 90 outboard. Average price I've paid is about $7.50 but if ordered, the shipping is usually what gets you. Boats .net is as good of place as any to buy and they offer alot of free services to us....like this one!!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Yep, why do think there have the advertising all over the pages

all you have to do is click on the red Purchase Yamaha Parts at the top right of the page.

Thanks!!
                      I know this is hard to believe, but over the years I have LITERALLY tuned ads out. I really don't "see" them.(unless they pop-up and scoll with me as I am reading)

Comment

Working...
                      X