Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge

The fuel gauge has stopped working on my 2002 Yamaha Digital gauge. Can someone tell me what color the wire is, I have been told that Yamaha does not use pink. Second, I know the gauge worked before I had some work done on it so I have to believe that it is a lose wire.

Thanks,

The pink wire from the fuel tank sender connects to the white wire on Yamaha speedo. Probably need to to test fuel tank sender.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I did test the sender at the tank this weekend. I jumped the green and pink connections and nothing happened at the gauge. Hmm... so I poked around in the console. Found that there is a pink fuel sender wire hooked to the bus bar with 12 v on it. So tonight I turned the key on to get the gauge on and tested the fuel sender with my voltmeter. The volts at the gauge with the key on is right around 10.0 with minor fluctuations. I have been told that there should be minimal volts at the sender since it works on resistance. Should there be that many volts at the sender?

So if this is the case, looks like I should connect the pink wire to the white wire on the gauge?

Comment

Problem solved.

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        The pink wire from the fuel tank sender connects to the white wire on Yamaha speedo. Probably need to to test fuel tank sender.
        Absolutely correct. I traced the pink and the white wires this evening and found that both of them were on the bus bar on separate studs. I pulled them off the bar, touched them together and viola, the fuel gauge started coming up. I recently had some wiring work done and this was one thing my guy missed. Feels good to solve a problem on my own.

Just for a visual, here is how the wires were before :

Comment

dunno who wired that snake nest, but keep him away from this area.
          remember,there is a delay built into the fuel gauge circuits on the digital yamaha display.
          may take up to 10 minutes for the level to display when shorting out the sender.

Comment

Thanks Rodbolt. If you think the wiring is bad now, you should have seen it when I bought it. The guy who did the wiring does excellent livewell and fiberglass work but he wont be doing anymore wiring for me.

Comment

Working...
            X