1996 150HP stalls @ idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 150HP stalls @ idle

Engine coughs & stalls @ idle. RPM's surge from 1000 -1700 in fast idle. surge in power @ RPM's above 3000. Spark on all cylinders, external & internal fuel filter clean, ran on aux. fuel tank with same results. Primer bulb firm. Help!

outraged18,
    Sounds like a classic case of clogged up carbs from gum/varnish deposits. Scroll down thru the posts where I detail shock treatment with "Seafoam". If that doesn't do the trick - try removing the jets and squirting Berryman's Chemtool into the seats. If that doesn't help, then carb teardown and rebuild may be in order.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

thanks Ken, I'll give it a shot. I have Seloc & Yamaha pubs, is the carb teardown difficult? Thanks.

Comment

outraged18,
        No - you just need a well-lighted, well-ventilated shop bench area to carefully lay out the parts in the order your manual describes.
        You need a cleaning solvent like Berryman's Chemtool or similar carb cleaner, cleaning tools like a soft bristle brush, pipe cleaners, and cotton rags.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Deciced to have carbs checked out by local yamaha dealer. Re-built, adjusted carbs & fuel pumps. Runs great.

Comment

Working...
          X