Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha computer fault codes and readout (2002 f115 EFI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha computer fault codes and readout (2002 f115 EFI)

Hi all,

While working on my rough running motor, I found that the Seloc manual shows how to hook up an indicator light to read the error codes from the ECM. I know the YDS would be better, but it let me see if I had any sensors out of range reported back to the ECM and cost $6. Be careful, i am sure you could mess up your ECM if short something out

On my2002 F115 4 stroke efi, there is a blue and white wire (L/W), with a water proof connector, hanging out of the wire box on the front side of the motor. This is under the black cover (with fuses and a couple of relays) just to the left of the ECM and rectifier. The Seloc book says there is a red/black wire with a connector as well, but I could not find one on mine. After looking at the electrical diagram I noticed the same r/b wire at the back of the diagnostic test plug (small gray plug (with jumper installed) about 3/4 of the way up, under the same black cover). I bought a 6 to 12 volt test lamp at an auto store and pushed the probe tip into the blue/white connector and the alligator clip to the R/B wire (I pushed a meter probe in the back of the gray plug). I left the connector with jumper still plugged into the gray plug, but not sure what would happen if you removed it.
    When the key is turned on it blinks once for about .5 seconds if all is good.

To test my tool, I unplugged my water temp sensor. It then blinked a code of 1-5, indicating a water temp sensor fault.
    Codes are indicated by one or more rapid flashes, for the first number, a pause, and one or more rapid flashes for the second number. You have to count them.
    Codes show incorrect signal from:
    1 -normal
    13-Incorrect trigger from crank shaft
    15 Incorrect WTS
    18 Incorrect TPS
    19-low Battery voltage
    23 Incorrect Air intake sensor
    28 Incorrect Shift position switch
    29 Incorrect Intake manifold pressure
    31-44- not faults
    33 timing correction (during cold start)
    37 Intake passage air leak/incorrect Idle speed control
    39 Incorrect Oil Pressure signal
    44 Engine stop switch or lanyard activated
    45 Incorrect shift cut switch signal
    46 incorrect thermoswitch signal

You can consult the manual for more details ( i have isbn 0-89330-066-7) and other connections for later models, the 150s, and 200/225 and I guess yami sells the adapters as well.

I sure like the ability to read my codes and at least know what is NOT wrong!!!!!
    Glfolts
    2002 Hurricane Deck boat
    2002 Yamaha 115 4 stroke EFI

now your catching on.
    just remember it will only blink a fault code IF that code is active at the current RPM and load.
    mostly I use the YDS or the winky blinky to tell me what I dont have to chase.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back!
      Glfolts
      2002 Hurricane Deck boat
      2002 Yamaha 115 4 stroke EFI

Comment

Working...
      X