New boat with a yamaha 90tlrr questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boat with a yamaha 90tlrr questions

I just bought a 93 alumaweld with a 90tlrr yamaha outboard. I have a few questions. On the lcd marine meter there are three lights on the bottom. A red circle, a oil light, and a green circle. When often as I'm accelerating the red light comes on with a arrow pointing down. What does that mean? Also its a oil injected motor and I topped off the oil before I left and maybe three times or so when I was running the yellow oil light blinked on for maybe a second and then went off. I ran around for about an hour and when I got back I checked the oil again and it definitely used some oil. The motor ran great the whole time no stalling or smoking. It idled at around 500 rpm and at full throttle ran about 3500 do those numbers sound correct?

No, your to WOT RPM should be around 5500 I think on that motor.

Check this site and see if you can find a boat and motor set up like yours to see what it did and than see if your boat is over propped or you have a motor problem.
    Performance Bulletin Home

Comment

What does WOT mean?

I will take the boat out again and confirm those RPMs this evening and check back with ya'll.

Comment

Wide open throttle

Comment

Motor should smoke it's 2stroke right

No smoke means something is wrong. 3500 rpm is not even close 4500 is ok. Semi syn smoke alot less and im switching to this oil for plug fouling. Check your prop is it 17.

Comment

Okay I just got back from taking it out and the lake was like glass so I let it out and I was pushing 5600 rpm, I don't know what I was looking at earlier. I'm a little concerned with the low oil indicators on my LCD Marine Meter even though I know it has plenty of oil. Could it just be a faulty meter since the oil reservoir is full? Would anything else cause those to go off? BTW the lights didn't blink this evening when I took it out.

Comment

more than likly the oil tank switch ground is loose, could also be the switch is failing.
              good to see 5600.
              4500 isnt even close to what yamaha reccomends.

Comment

Yeah it made me feel better. I was thinking that maybe the lower rpm I recorded earlier was because the motor was throttling back because of the low oil light. When they throttle back how far do they throttle back? The other option is I just misremembered what the rpms actually were.

Comment

if the CDI unit enters RPM reduction RPM is limited to about 2000 RPM and the engine will miss badly.
                  you will also get an audible if the horn works.

Comment

Okay then I don't think thats what happened then. I don't know if the horn works but I do know that I didn't notice a reduction to 2000 rpm. I'm going to check the oil level sensor today.

Comment

to test the horn, locate the pink temp switch wire,unplug it.
                      ground the harness side of that bullet connector to a good ground.
                      turn the key to on.
                      horn should sound.

Comment

I'll do that this week and see what happens. I took it out today after bleeding the oil line and for the second trip I didn't have any problems no lights the only thing on the display is the trim meter, rpm's and a black arrow pointing down in the middle of the screen. I don't know exactly what that arrow means.

Comment

Can ya'll tell me how to take the oil level sensor off and check to make sure its operating correctly?

Also any suggestions on how to make sure oil is flowing properly into the motor? My manual says to watch while it idles to make sure its flowing but my lines are not translucent so I can't see. It is using oil and its smoking properly so I'm assuming its working but I wanted to double check.

Comment

yeah I didnt mean 4500 was just ok but better

than 3500. I wonder about the oil injection lines as well. Mine are green kind of hard to see what's going on. If you ever think the oil injection is malfunctioning id recommend putting oil in gas tank. Disconnecting looks easy my idea is have clear line that goes to in on oil pump and loops around to out. That way oil lubricates pump goes round and round. Plug up all other hoses then obviously start mixing 50-1 ratio oil to gas. Or maybe we could leave oil tank in place loop that clear hose from oil pump in back to top oil tank?

Comment

This should give you some info on the arrows.
                              '97 Oil Warning Indicator is Active?

Do the maintenance on the system like Yamaha recommends and measure the flow/volume as the service manual calls for.
                              If the lines are looking old,hard, and bad then replace them,but I do not think you can see oil flow it will have to be measured.

here is oil test info but you will still need manual for the specs and do not forget to run the motor on a mix while you do it and make sure the mix is all the way into the carbs before pulling oil line for measuring
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X