Preventative Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Maintenance

I have a 2005 90 TLRD. I don't get to use it very often. The engine sits probably 1-3 months between trips. I have had a bunch of problems getting the engine to start when I try to use it. I would like some suggestions for post trip maintenance I can do to try to ensure the engine starts the next time I want to use it. I thought running all the fuel out of the engine would be a good option, but a couple of things I read on winterization are making me doubt that. I would appreciate any suggestions.

i like to use a good fuel stabilizer...disconnect battery if you do not have a perko switch..if it will reach below the ****s in temp. I would recommend draining the gearcase oil..just in case you have some water intrusion..when you go to crank it up pump the bulb up tight and it would not hurt to squirt a little half gas/half 2 stroke oil into the carbs just to whet the crank..Rod or 99 may have some good ideas.

Comment

keep fresh fuel, if your going to let it sit 3 months drain the carbs and drain the fuel tanks.
      todays fuel, even treated,doesnt like storage.
      each carb has a drain screw.
      takes all of 10 minutes to drain the system.

Comment

Summary

Thanks for the comments, I live in South Louisiana and run the boat mostly in salt water. I typically run the engine on ear muffs or in a large garbage can after each trip. Is there any advantage to running a little carb cleaner or tuner fluid after each trip?

Based on your comments at the end of each trip it would be beneficial to drain the carbs. If it has been over a couple of months I should also drain the fuel filter and the main tank and put in fresh fuel. In all circumstances I think I'll add the yamaha fuel stabilizer. It also might be good to drain the gear case oil if I think it will be several months before I go again. Would it be a good idea to just check the gear case oil periodically for water and then top it off?

Any other suggestions. Thanks again.

Comment

Carb draining very easy and effective on this motor, put a rag under each carb when removing drain bolt(10MM Brass Hex Head) so if you drop it, it don't roll down somewhere hard to get at. With drain bolts out it's possible to pump primer bulb several times to "flush" carb float chambers with fresh fuel. I use the Stabil Marine and Ringfree all the time. Check/clean/replace fuel/water separater filter and on motor fuel filter on a regular basis to be sure regarding any water or debris contamination. Clean fresh fuel and you should be pretty much home free on this motor! Good Luck1

Comment

Working...
          X