VMAX 150 hard starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMAX 150 hard starting

Friend of mine has a carbureted 2008 VMAX 150 (V150TLR). Motor is a brand new take-off. Was pulled off of a Ranger in 2009 and replaced with a 225HPDI-and my friend bought this V150 brand new.

Anyway....he says he has starting problems. Says he can't start it when it's cold-or more specifically he says that it takes over 30 minutes of cranking. He says he's choking it, not choking, throttling, not throttling...says it doesn't make any difference. I've checked for water, checked ethanol content (less than 2%), checked timing and throttles, checked choke plates to make sure they close all the way, checked spark voltage at the plug (8000-10000 volts at crank speed). Have checked fuel delivery, all bowls are filling fine when primed with the "bulb". Everything checks fine.

Is there any particular method to use to start one of these things? He says that once running, it's fine all day long. But initial starting is a pain. So much so that he's about ready to sell it & get a suzuki. I told him that if he'd gotten an EFI motor, starting would not be a problem...but alas, he didn't want to spend that much money at the time. I personally believe that he's probably not using the choke properly, but I have not verified this. But if anyone else on this board can share their cold starting procedure, please, I am all ears. I hate for this guy to go buy a new suzuki or Merc when he's got a GOOD motor to begin with.

correct procedure,cold start.

prime system.
    advance throttle using warm up lever or hot foot.
    set and hold choke.
    crank engine.
    engine needs to start initially at about 1500-2000 RPM.
    that engine will NOT start correctly if the throttle is at idle speed when cold cranking.

Comment

I assume that model does not have choke plates but actually has an enricher system that injects fuel into the back of the carb/throttle body. I am kind of guessing here because I have mostly worked on mercs/OMCs, but I assume Yammy carbs are the same..I have plenty of carbbed motors and they crank just fine..find where your enricher hoses are and see if they are squirting fuel.
      Rod will know for sure how that works..be sure to try his suggestion of moving the throttle forward or lifting warm up lever some. ( make sure it is not in gear)

Comment

Working...
      X