Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4HP shift lever replacement

Hi
    I am new to fixing Yamahas, but using the parts diagrams and lists I got down to where I should be able to remove a broken shift lever, but it won't budge. According to the parts list, there are two o-rings that look to keep it in place. I could remove one (closest to the handle) but the other is in there, and I can not drive the shaft either in further or out. I am afraid to tap or pry too hard for fear of breaking the casting. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks, Jim

What is the model number of motor? What is part number or reference number on parts diagram of part you are replacing?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

4hp shift lever replacement

Sorry, the part number is 6E4-44111-71-EK for a 1990 4hp SD4. Jim

Comment

Answer to removing broken shift lever on Yamaha 4hp.

Well, I finally figured out how to remove the broken shift lever shaft without breaking the casting that holds it. I needd a puller, so I cut a length of conduit whose diameter matched the casting where the shaft inserts. I then drilled a hole in the plastic shaft with a 1/4 inch drill almost to the end of the casting part. I then used a 5/16 tap to thread the hole, and sent up a piece of drill rod with double nuts (that I could lock to turn the drill rod) and screwed the drill rod about half way into the plastic shaft. After I put a washer over the piece of conduit that was slipped over the the drill rod, I adjusted the nuts and locked them on top of the washer.

Then I heated the casting with a propane torch until it felt warm (not hot) to the touch, and started screwing the drill rod in the rest of the way. After a few tense moments, the broken shaft started to move, and when it was about halfway out, I pulled it the rest of the way out.

The reason it was so hard to remove was corrosion around the end nearest the shift lever in the vicinity of the o-ring. The corrosion is probably what made the shifter so stiff, and caused it to break to begin with.

Now I can order the parts, Jim

Comment

Working...
        X