New and dumb owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and dumb owner

I just bought a 1993 17ft. Alumacraft boat with a 1993 yamaha 90hp oil injected motor. The problem is its the first boat I've ever owned and I know nothing about it or boats really. Being that its oil injected I assume I just need to keep a oil reservoir full and it will do the rest correct? Is there anything I need to do before I get it out on the water? I was going to change the lower unit oil but other than that I don't know what else I would need to do to it. Anyway if ya'll have any suggestions or advice for a Newbie I would appreciate it. Thanks

Just the basic "Owner/Operator" manual for your motor explains the various systems and maintenance required and you can find it on-line easily. I run a 90C Yamaha similar to yours and these are excellent motors and simple to learn and maintain. I'd recommend to buy and install a fuel/water separater type filter(Walmart $27), easy 2 screw installation, it'll save you a lot of trouble with water and debris problems in your fuel/carbs. Also use Stabil or Seafoam fuel stabilizer and Yamaha Ringfree all the time. Check/clean/replace your spark plugs every now and then, change lower end oil once a year, gease all zerks. I did my own water pump impeller this fall and it wasn't all that difficult of a job(about 2 hours), so good idea to change that impeller every 2 or 3 years, depending on boat usage. Good Luck!

Comment

If you are not sure what has been replaced/done to this motor maintenance wise then look at what Yamaha recommends and how often. It would be a very good idea to pick up a manual it will help if you plan on doing some or all yourself.

look at the top of the page at a post titled Scheduled Maintenance Charts

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I found a owners manual for the Yamaha 90D, I'm not sure if its the exact model but it looks very similar.

Comment

If you want to continue using the oiler. I would pull the tank out, replace the filter and flush the tank with diesel. If it's never been done you can bet there's some sludge in the bottom. I would also decarb the motor. Not sure if the in-line's have a PRV; if so that should be replaced.
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Originally posted by calveryc View Post
            Thanks for the advice, I found a owners manual for the Yamaha 90D, I'm not sure if its the exact model but it looks very similar.
            Service manual would give you the info for working on it

Comment

Good news I just picked up 90hp month ago

Go get you some spark plugs NGK at oriely's,or right on this web site. Gear oil proper adapter yamaha motors fill from bottom drain plug untill it comes out vent plug. If you read mine was leaking water somehow well the driveshaft seals installed wrong from rebuilder lol. Added oring around quick connect fuel line missing. New seals in tilt and trim,just polished up all wires on battery and cdi packs make sure getting good ground. Carbs are 1 1/2 turns out make sure your doing that correct! 360 degree's one turn. Ended up finding 1 1/4 seems about right unless rodbolt17 say's otherwise. Use the search function if your doing seals ive taken the guess work out. Also get you new water impeller. Run it on flusher muffs not hose attached to motor that's for cleaning out block only. If your handy with tools you shouldnt have to much problem working on it. Id like to clean out my carbs maybe do kit but pretty much tired playing with it. I also read about PRV and didnt really see it on my motor? There is hole on outside thermostate case. I also pulled my thermo housing out to clean and purchased new gasket. In all pretty easy motor to work on. For the manual I got one off ebay $8bucks on CD not bad.
              Last edited by 200090tlry; 02-14-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X