Outboards in freezing weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboards in freezing weather

I have a 2004 Yamaha 4 stroke outboard. I want to take it to Lake Tahoe, CA, where outside temperatures could reach freezing overnight. The boat will be moored in the water for several days. Are there risks involved with freezing water up in the motor and if so, are there preventive measures I can take to avoid this? I am concerned with live wells and wash downs also.

Unfortunately you need to tilt the motor down into the water so the lower unit housing behind the prop doesn't get water in it and freeze and crack the case. However, if you leave it in the water and the water totally freezes that might cause similar cracking but I'm talking below 20 degrees for an extended time for the water to freeze that far down.

I seriously doubt that will happen in Lake Tahoe, though. If it's just dipping below freezing at night I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I've operated my 90HP in the river for several days when the outside air temperature was around 25 degrees overnite, no problems at all. I doubt you'll have any problems. Probably best to just leave your motor in the "down" position since the water will be warmer than the air. Good Luck!

Comment

Ditto have had my moters in the water till almost freeze up and as long as prop stays in you will be fine .

Comment

Working...
        X