2007 200 HPDI seized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 200 HPDI seized?

I have a '07 200 hpdi that just seized up on me. I could have sworn I hit something and now the prop will not spin when throttle is in neutral position so I figured it was the lower unit. I just got a call from the mechanic though telling me that the engine has seized and that I had water in the cylinders. Any idea how this could have happened and could it have been from damage to the lower unit? Strange thing is that I had run on the engine the day prior for 8 hours with no problems and the day of for 6 hours. Also is it worth fixing the engine or should I look into repowering? Can I expect any kind of trade it? Thanks for any help!

my guess is that either you ran it hot or the oil pump failed..just a guess. That motor should be worth around $1500-2000 for parts if the foot is still good. Water in the cylinder would indicate a bad head gasket or cracked block..nothing from gear case damage would cause that. I would not spend a pile of cash trying to rebuild that motor if block is damaged. a good mechanic should be able to tell you if it is worth rebuilding for a small fee. you really need a good mechanic who can give you some specific information on what happened and what is damaged.,get him to check out the gear case..you can get a new powerhead and put it on or sell yours for parts and get another motor..here is a brand new 200 for $11k http://www.boats.net/outboard_motor/Yamaha/parts.html
    Last edited by Sparkieboat; 02-02-2011, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your help- sounds like my best bet would be to re-power. If I were to go for the four stroke and upgrade to the 250 would that require new steering, throttle, and throttle cables?

Comment

I think cables and steering should be fine. you do have hydrolic steering right?? I believe you will have to replace the wire harness and Tach, but I am not real sure..a trip to your local Yammy dealer is in order..that 250 4 stroke is one heavy dude compared to your 200 2 stroke.

Comment

Thanks again- Was thinking about trying to gain some more speed. I was gonna go up to a 250 or 225 and then the 4 stroke would be the only option. I have a 21 contender. Do you think the extra 100 lbs on the transom would effect it too much or should I stick with the 200 hpdi?

Comment

what is the max rated HP for your boat?? I would be careful if exceeding that rating..it could void your warranty on boat and motor. you should get some input from your local dealer.

Comment

Rated up to 300 hp

Comment

then you should have no problem with the 250..here are blow out sale prices..on boats.net
                Outboard Motors - Yamaha Outboards

Comment

as long as your tach is new enough to select 2 or 4 stroke it will work.
                  as long selection as your F250 selection is mechanical shift all your other parts will work.
                  wasnt an oil pump failure.

Comment

Might want to check that the extra weight of the 4-stroke doesn't put your scuppers under water. Rodbolt, I've read several references that this was Yamaha's best motor. Speculating, what do you think is this lad's problem and what caused it?
                    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

most likly water in the fuel or it leaned out, popped a head gasket, then rusted.
                      but its not an oil pump failure.
                      oil pump issues can be identified by the connecting rod hanging out of the block.
                      usually after grilling the customer about the altenator, I can find that yea the last 20 minutes it ran but not right, but it ran so it must have been good.

Comment

Working...
                      X